Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2002 stopped working...

• Please log in to reply

zmaster

zmaster

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Word 2002 stopped working on my computer. Any time I open Word it loads then a message box appears that says:

"Microsoft Word has not been installed for the current user. please run setup to install the application."

I've run setup a couple times with the correct product key, and nothing has changed, I've scanned for viruses and have all current microsoft and windows updates.

Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this occurs with a multi-user system, but you don't normally need to enter a code

I would first try a repair by going to control panel > add/remove > microsoft office > modify(change)

if that fails, I would uninstall and reinstall

zmaster

zmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
sorry I didn't write that part . i did try to repair, then uninstall and re-install a couple times.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

UNinstall office one more time

download and uninstall the above

run it, follow the instructions CLOSELY to remove the office installation files that are causing issue (instructions are on the page above)

zmaster

zmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok. I followed the instructions exactly, installed w/o any errors, removed word, then re-installed it, i'm still getting the same message. [bleep] my computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Found this in a MS kb article

<H2 class=subTitle>RESOLUTION</H2>To resolve this problem, follow these steps: 1.Log on to the computer by using an Administrator user account.2.Start Microsoft Windows Explorer.3.On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.4.Click the View tab.5.Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.6.Click to clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.7.Open the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\8.Right-click Opa11.dat, and then click Properties.9.Click the Security tab. 10.Click Advanced. 11.Click the Permissions tab.12.Click to select Everyone in the Permission entries list, and then click Edit.13.Click to select the Full Control check box.14.Click OK three times.
If these steps do not resolve this issue, delete the opa11.dat file from the following folder, and then restart an Office 2003 program:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://support.micro...pid=2509&sid=54

zmaster

zmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
what does it mean if i don't have that file there. the only files that show up are these two: data.dat and data.bak

Peter (FI)

Peter (FI)

• Pip
  • 1 posts

what does it mean if i don't have that file there. the only files that show up are these two: data.dat and data.bak

The file opa11.dat occurs IF you have Word 2003 (or Office 2003) installed.

The files data.dat and data.bak occur if you have Word 2002, i.e. Word XP (or Office 2002, i.e. Office XP) installed.

If memory serves right data.dat has to do with product licence or product activation.

Would not think your problem is caused by a corrupt data.dat file, but rather guess you have a problem with the Office profile in question (presuming you have multiple user accounts on your system).

Hope this answers your specific question about the meaning of the non-existence of the file opa11.dat.

- Pete

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you installing with an administrator account