Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Activity on Cable Modem even when machine turned off

• Please log in to reply

jimxx7

jimxx7

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi;

Running XP Pro at home with a Netgear WGR614 router and Bigpond Cable Broadband.

Noticed that things seem to be running slower. Most concerning is that the Activity light on the Broadband Modem is flashing constantly. I am really concerned with all this activity. I have turned off the Wireless port (well limited it to one MAC address). Still this activity.

Is there any reliable tools to help monitor the ports, anyone know how I should handle this. Should I be talking to Broadband supplier?

I have had the HighJackThis log investigated for a clean bill of health yet the machine is still slower than I remember.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can't speak for your slowness..but...a broadband connection (cable, DSL, ISDN, etc..)..is a persistant connection....it never turns off...whether your computer is on or not...your router or modem is ALWAYS communicating with the outside world....

your modem or router is constantly communicating with the servers it connects to..asking questions...making requests...passing acknowledgements...and so on..." hey....i've got this ip..can i keep this ip? ok i'll keep this ip...can i have this ip? are you ok with me having this ip? ok i'll keep this ip...you sure i can have it?" etc.. VERY chatty system...now....if it seems excessive...like your act light almost seems solid because it blinks so much...you may want to disconnect all computers from the system and see what happens...

jimxx7

jimxx7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks for the info.

I accept you are probably right....

Any way I can be sure??? (eg port monitoring/sniffing)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
either that...or request your ISP monitor trafic for a few days at certain hours when you know you're not h ome and the computer is off

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
As for the slowness I can Help if your ISP is a Cable operator... But not much for DSL

jimxx7

jimxx7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Yes I am on cable

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Alright jimxx7 we can find out where the Slowness is coming from. Usually 1 of the following general places: Your Computer, Your Router, Your Modem, Your House wiring, Your External House wiring and splitters, and also You cable Operator. Please follow these instructions to get us started:

1. Call you cable company and find out what you MAXIMUM Download speed is... and also your MAXIMUM Upload speed. Put in your next post as <REPLY 1>
1A. Also ask the Cable Company What your Upload Transmit (AKA Power Level) is and also what your Signal to Noise Level Is. If you had a Motorrolla Modem We could get this info without having to ask. Put in your next post as <REPLY 2>

2. While talking to your cable company find out what website they go to, to check Upload and Download speeds. Go to that site (not any other site - as we want an internal network test off the cable companies server)... Example: My cable company (and employer) is Is Cox Communications, thus i go to www.speedtest.coxinet.net to check my speeds (on the cox network server) external server speedtests are unreliable and your results are based solely on the amount of other traffic through the server and the bandwidth usage cap set for the server. Example: my MAX Download speed is 10.5 MB but if i go to www.dslreports.com and use thier speedtest it will only show a MAX of 4.2 MB as this is the server cap (since most broadband companies are only able to reach these speeds - but if i go to my cable companies speedtest site i get the full MAX speed)
***NOTE*** the last step may sound like a load of bullcraPP, but i promise you it is true...
Check your Speeds off the cable companies speedtest site and Put in your next post as
<REPLY 3>

3. Click on the Start Menu in the lower left of your screen. Scroll to the Run command and select it then type in CMD and hit the Enter Key.

4. As the black box appears type in IPCONFIG and hit enter. Copy down the DEFAULT GATEWAY.

5. Open your Web Browser and in the Address Bar type the Default Gateway Address from the last step and hit enter.

Default Usernames are usually left blank or set to admin, Default Passwords are usually admin or password.

6. Find the section (usually: Status) that gives the numerical address of your Default Gateway (NOT THE SAME ADDRESS AS THE ONE YOU JUST WROTE DOWN - IS THE ISP DEFAULT GATEWAY) and write it down.

7. Go back to the Black Command Prompt Screen.
7A. Type in:... PING
<insert default gateway here> -L 1000 -N 100 ...Hit ENTER - post results as <REPLY 4>.
7B. Type in:... PATHPING <insert default gateway here> ...Hit ENTER - post results as <REPLY 5>.

8. Now Hook up your PC directly to the Modem (without the router). You may have to Turn the PC off, Change the connections around, unplug power from the modem then plug power back in, wait for the modem to sync up, then turn the computer back on.

9. Go back to the Black Command Prompt Screen. as directed in step 3.
9A. Type in:...
PING <insert default gateway here> -L 1000 -N 100 ...Hit ENTER - post results as <REPLY 6>.
9B. Type in:... PATHPING <insert default gateway here> ...Hit ENTER - post results as <REPLY 7>.

10. Type in:... EXIT ...and Hit ENTER

11. Post all replies.