Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New licence key

• Please log in to reply

michicca

michicca

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've been told to buy a new licence key for the system i installed wrongly on a computer but i tried amazon like recommended and ended confused. What exactly am i buying? and what do i do when i get it, willi still be able to access all the stuff on there already? Last time windows xp was installed on my comp it covered everything on there already?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you are buying a license and certificate of authenticity to replace a pirated activation key

When you obtain it, you would follow the instructions

Start > Run
regedit
<enter>

naviage to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

In the right pane, right-click the ODBETimer binary value and select Modify. Change at least one character of this value to either a number from 0 to 9 or to a letter from A to F, and then click OK and close the Registry Editor. This renders the current product key invalid and deactivates Windows.

Click Start > Run and type

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe /a

Windows will launch the Product Activation Wizard. Select the option to telephone a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows.

Select the Change Product Key option and enter your new product key.

Click Update and close the window.

If Windows returns you to the previous screen, just select the Remind Me Later option. When the wizard is finished, reboot the system.

When Windows reboots, your next step will depend on which Windows XP version you are using. If you have XP Home or Professional, you’ll be prompted to reactivate your copy of Windows through the normal activation process.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
p.s.

YOU NEED TO OBTAIN A LICENSE FOR THE SAME VERSION OF WINDOWS THAT IS CURRENTLY INSTALLED

ie--windows xp pro = windows xp pro
windows xp home - windows xp home
windows xp pro upgrade = windows xp pro upgrade

etc

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
where can i buy one of these and any guesses on how much?

akeem

akeem

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
try microsoft.com

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
am trying that now but not getting very far, don't know where i'm looking!?!?!?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
buy.com for one, look at pricewatch.com

Note: you can also buy the same edition you have...you do not have to just buy the license since each cd comes with a license

akeem

akeem

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
try this link and look thru it until you get the correct page

http://search.micros...st=21&FORM=PNME

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
so if i but another copy of XP home edition and enter the licence number for that everything will be ok?

akeem

akeem

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
a would say yes

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
but.....now I have a question. Who said you need a new key? And who installed the old windows

I ask this because in order to avoid activation with a pirated key for windows xp home, you typically need to be running a software patch--that may need to be removed before you enter the new key

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, what you just said was gobblydegook to me! Mums comp was being a right mare so she stuck my disc in to overule what she had and start from scratch on the system. It worked fine and she entered the product key as asked for registration (from sticker on my comp that the disc came with) And then it told her that the activatino key was not "authorised". Confusion ensues from there really, Its obviously gonna cost me a fortune to sort this buying new software but want to make sure i do itt right and don't wipe the things shes put on already.

michicca

michicca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have to go now as my babys screaming but please don't desert this topic i'll be back very soon to check your advice, Oh and a huge big THANKYOU to both of you helping me!!!!!! :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Ok, what you just said was gobblydegook to me! Mums comp was being a right mare .....

ok, now I'm the one who is lost...right mare?

OK, so

Mom's PC was not working, so she took your cd and your cd key and ---did what? She reinstalled windows? But, it will not activate.

Where was her CD? Her CD key.

Does she have a functioning, albeit, unlicensed key now?