Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Unknown Problems with computer

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
was having problems awhile ago and someone on the forum helped only I can't find the thread atall now. Since that problem that resulted in me having to wipe the machine totally I've reloaded everything in the last couple of days and my computer keeps crashing and the interent is so slow it's takes absolutely ages to load a single page and I'm on a 2mb broadband connection. Windows keeps restarting itself even first thing in the morning after it's been off all night.

I've updated all my spyware and antivirus software and removed all the files they found although I'm still having a problem. Not sure now if this is hardware related or some other problem.

I've posted a hijack this log on the malware removal section but they didn't seem to think it was any kind of malware/spyware problem and suggested I post this over here.

This is what my system is:

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name FAMILYROOM
User Name Jacqueline

CPU Type AMD Duron, 1100 MHz (11 x 100)
Motherboard Name ECS K7AMA (4 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset ULi/ALi M1647 ALiMAGiK 1
System Memory 320 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (09/12/01)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Video Adapter ASUS V9520-X V62.11 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Monitor Maxdata Belinea 10 30 20 [17" CRT] (1014808793394)

Audio Adapter Creative SB0410 SB Live! 24-bit Sound Card
Audio Adapter ULi/ALi M5451 AC-Link Controller Audio Device

IDE Controller ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ExcelStor Technology J880 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Disk Drive SAMSUNG SV2044D (18 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S (DVD+R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive LITE-ON LTR-32123S (32x/12x/40x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

C: (NTFS) 78520 MB (69212 MB free)
F: (FAT32) 19444 MB (3869 MB free)
Total Size 95.7 GB (71.4 GB free)

Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (
Modem SupraExpress 56i

Printer EPSON Stylus C60 Series
USB1 Controller ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller
USB1 Controller ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller
USB Device BT Voyager 100 ADSL Modem

This is the tempreture of my system half an hour after putting it on.

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Genesys GL520SM (SMBus 2Dh)

Motherboard 32 C (90 F)
CPU 68 C (154 F)
ExcelStor Technology J880 28 C (82 F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 4800 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.80 V
+3.3 V 3.27 V
+5 V 4.62 V
+12 V 12.26 V

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should and you can check for any improvement

This section is optional

Download and install
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If you still have problems and you have not added too much data, you can back that up then use the hard drive manufacturer's utility to write zeros to the drive, which will provide a good base for the installation