Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad power supply?

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Im not sure whether its my powersupply or not? I was gaming it up last night (BF2) When all of the sudden my computer stopped responding in game. So I hit crtl+alt+del, hoping to get into the task manager and end task it. Well, when I hit it my comp just shut down. When I hit the button to turn it back on - nothin. So I waited about half an hour and it turned back on. (thankfully).
Anyway, I was wondering about my power supply as I noticed lately that after Ive been in a game for a while hour or two, that my performance slows down a little bit, frames get choppy, etc. I know thats from heat, but I was wondering if it could be a power supply going bad OR one that just doesnt have nough power. I know in audio equipment that not enough power is WAY worse than having too much, does this hold true for computers too? Heres my specs, Dell dimension 8100, P4 2.0 ghz, 1 gb rdram, BFG tech Geforce 6200overclocked, just added a sound blaster X-Fi sound card (its awesome), seagate 400gb HD, and an extra CPU fan. I was wondering if by adding all these new more powerful components, (as in the video card has a fan, the cpu has a fan,) my power supply is just falling short of supplying the power my system needs?
In your opinions what wattage powersupply should I get? Thanx for any info,
-Pete.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with the stock dell PSU you probably aren't getting enough juice for all that stuff...i would look into getting a new more powerfull one to test with...