Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 98 startup problems

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, that stinks.

I was hoping to avoid that grief--your right, the cd-key request was a dead giveaway something was wrong.

Look in your C: drive...what do you see regarding WINDOWS

C:\windows?
C:\windows.000

(guessing)

Either way, since the programs are hosed anyway, here is an alternative to wiping all and starting from scratch and losing data...it's just more work.

Using a windows boot disk, rename the following folders c:\windows, c:\My Documents and c:\program files. When you get to the A:\ prompt do it this way

a:\rename c:\windows c:\bakwin
a:\rename c:\progra~1 c:\bakpf
a:\rename c:\mydocu~1 c:\bakdocs

Now, reinstall windows just as we were before. This will create a complete new windows install, but retain your data.

You can recover all your data from the backup folders once you install your programs and you will be able to get on the Internet again. When you get to that point, post back and I will help you along.

Advertisements

svogelsa

svogelsa

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Here's what I did since my last post. For some unknown reason I had a backup of my registry from Aug 2004. With nothing to lose I restored it. Now IE runs without crashing same with Firefox. Still can't access the net using browsers but i can still ping out so there's some little setup nuance. I've used winpcfg and released and the restored my ip address. I've used the network settings application in control panel and verified the TCP/IP properties for my NIC. Everything is set to use DHCP. I know that my wireless access point is working because our three laptops have no problem accessing the web just our main PC.

Most of my important apps run (especially the OEM installed ones like Office since the license keys were wiped with the new load).

I've just received a good clue as I tried to automatically configure my network printer. The setup program said that I needed to install the Windows TCP/IP protocols. Since they show up in my netowork window they must be partially there. So i'll start investigating that.

Getting closer, should have just bought the XP upgrade version through work six months ago but I was afraid that my machine would get hosed and I'd spend days trying to recover it (just like I'm doing now).

svogelsa

svogelsa

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Final plea. Everything on my machine works except connecting to the net. I spent from 2100 last night to 0500 this morning trying to get my NIC working properly and configuring TCP/IP.

I can actually ping out to the net using the command tool but for some reason IE and netscape and firefox won't connect. I've uninstalled the NIC and reinstalled. Removed TCP/IP settings and reloaded them. Upgraded the drivers for my NIC. Used my wireless router config disk and even loaded on RoadRunner Medic (they're my ISP). I direct connected to my cable modem to remove the wireless router from the path even though other machines in the house can see the net.\

It's got to be something very simple that I'm missing.

Anyone with any ideas I'd really appreciate the help.

TIA

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
run a hijacklog....it could be something has installed itself in your IPstack...these appear as LSP entries.

svogelsa

svogelsa

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Kudos to gerryf.

Ran HijackThis and it indicated there was a problem with LSP. I downloaded lspfix and ran it and now i have my internet connection restored. I've got to get Outlook Express working and a few minor items but things are almost back. (and i just bought an XP upgrade from work 1 hour before fixing things :-) )

Thanks for all of the help

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sometimes it is difficult to fix things when you cannot see them....and sometimes it's difficult even when you can.