Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing AOL [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fanton

fanton

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi there,

I'll post here, because I consider AOL to be a kind of Malware. My Blue Screen error says the problem is with file ATWPKT2.sys I found a thread about this file, and I followed the instructions to rename it with .old file ext.

I would just like to get rid of AOL altogether. Since I have a laptop, I thought I would keep it around just so I have Dial-Up ability if needed. Now I'm just fed-up, so AOL is getting the boot. Are there any problems with removing AOL? It was installed OEM on this Gateway laptop.

regards,
Anton

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
This should really go in the Software forum instead of malware...

I don't recall ever hearing problems removing AOL. More Norton horror stories instead...:tazz:

You should see a few AOL entries in the Add/Remove panel. You may uninstall them from there. You may also see an entry called Viewpoint. Uninstall that too since it usually comes with AOL.

Any other problems?

fanton

fanton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
thanks greyknight,

I did remove the AOL 9.0 from my laptop no problem via Add/remove programs. I left the AOL coach 2.0 on there, but I suppose that could go as well. I did see viewpoint, so I will remove that as well.

I just removed NortonIS 2005 with no problems from my laptop. It did leave a couple of files behind... a NIS manual.pdf, and also a .log file.

I'm using Mcafee now. I hope this is better...
Muchos Gracias,
Anton

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Yes, remove anything AOL related...including Viewpoint.

Yeah, Norton may work for a lot of users, but I have also seen many cases where the user tried almost everything and still can't remove via the Add/Remove panel :)

No problem Anton. Glad to help :tazz:

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.