Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Word wont open works file

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi.
Since I reformatted my laptop I have to use Microsoft Works 7 as I cant find the DVD for my WorksSuite 2005 :tazz: I hope I will find it eventually. My problem is Ive sent a file created in Works WP (which is actually called Microsoft Works Word processer) and sent it to a few people and their Word wont open it.

I would have thought as MS were more or less saying that Works had the Word processor that MS Word would open the files. But no, it seems it wont.

If I cant find my works suite, isnt there a free office type programme? Does it do the same as Office and more importantly will it let you imprt and export your files to people using MS Word or Office?

Thanks
k

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm not 100% sure on this..but i don't think word opens works files..could be wrong

openoffice.org will open word files...works files...most other files...and you can save them as any of those formats...works the same as word and it's free... just go to www.openoffice.org

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
you need to save your works files with the .doc extension, look in the drop down menu on 'save as' and then other people will be able to open it in word. Alternatively just use openoffice, its pretty good and free too

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Yes I know, I did that. But I CANT do it as such. When I save it as .doc it actually saves as a Wordpad document. (Im choosing Word 97-2000-RTF, there is no other option except Word 6.0/95) This is a real pain.

K

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
you mean the icon is a wordpad one? If so, its only the file association in windows for .doc files when there's no microsoft word installed. just click on it and go 'open with' and you'll probably find that it really can be opened in microsoft works. Unless of course your file contains a lot of graphics, these don't seem to transfer over very well to MS word. I know that files saved in works can be opened in MS word on other computers, I've tried doing this before with text only files.