Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Small Windows Server 2003 Question.

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I am, so to speak a bit of a newb on Windows Server 2003. Its just a test as I've downloaded the 180day trial version. Just need to know how to add users on there.

Also, I made a post a long while ago talking about my computer theme messing up, I was sent a Windows Media Center skin, which I would like to use on this Windows Server 2003 box, despite it loosing performance. If anybody could help me with either of the above I thank you in advance.

Edited by SuperSam, 22 February 2006 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for question #1...what are you using the 2003 server for? is this a workgroup environment or a domain environment...or are you using it as a desktop o/s (why you would do that i have absolutely no idea).

for question #2...why do you want media center on server 2003?

crash override

crash override

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Sam,
Adding users on Server 2003 is the same as adding them on 2000 Server. This is true regardless of whether it is a Domain or Workgroup. I am presuming you have this in a test environment as I would not use a 180 evaluation edition for anything but that.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I use Linux to host all of my servers, I'm (at the moment) running Win 2003 on VMWare (a virtual computer software). I'm looking into hosting Win 2003 on one of my servers as one person who wants to host with me wants microsoft exchange server on his rented server, which I said I'd look into. I also wanted Media on there from pure bordeom from looking at the boring greys and blues, not too bothered of performance loss, the server is going to be installed on a very high spec server anyhow. I think that explains everything.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so it's going to be a webhosting server...

i'm not familiar with any of the installs ove the media center skin so i can't help you there...don't know if it's compatable or not

but as far as adding users...if you're wanting to add local users...it's the same as 2000 or xp....if it's a domain user...you have to add that through active directory...and..since that would be the only windows box..i would assume it would also have to be the domain controller

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
services.msc
<enter>

themes

I believe that themes is off by default on windows server 2003

enable it to enable themes, set startup type to automatic.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
services.msc
<enter>

themes

I believe that themes is off by default on windows server 2003

enable it to enable themes, set startup type to automatic.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Was unable to get this working (the theme), however, I managed to get some more users added, but upon password change I have seemed to have forgot the password. Is there any other way I could change my password, one of the other accounts is an administrator :\.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what password?

and what theme couldn't you get working? Royal in general, or the theme service? What error did you encounter?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Sorry, Didn't explain well.

The theme is installed fine, thankyou for that gerryf. What I have done recently is create a password on the administrator account as (on my virtual machine) I'm letting a future customer access the server via my ADSL Line. I created a password on my administrator account (the main user) and have now forgot it. But the customer I have added is also in the administrators group, can I change the main administrator password using the future customers account?

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Sorry, Didn't explain well.

The theme is installed fine, thankyou for that gerryf. What I have done recently is create a password on the administrator account as (on my virtual machine) I'm letting a future customer access the server via my ADSL Line. I created a password on my administrator account (the main user) and have now forgot it. But the customer I have added is also in the administrators group, can I change the main administrator password using the future customers account?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, just one more question

THE ADMINISTRATOR account
or AN administrator account

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I've forgot the passworth to THE ADMINISTRATOR account, and trying to recover on AN administrator account.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2
<enter>

select THE ADMINISTRATOR account and click RESET PASSWORD

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Thankyou VERY, VERY much :tazz:. All is fixed :)