Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird lines during boot and Computer freeze!

• Please log in to reply

emilm

emilm

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everyone!

My computer specs are:
1024 DDR RAM
3.0 GHZ
Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT
Two 80 Gig hardrives
Windows XP Home SP2

(I'm going to include all the details I can come up with and see if it helps)

OK First of all when I start my computer it makes a loud sound like ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and I know that is normal for my computer. After my computer starts there is this buzzing sound that continues. It didn't happen when I got the computer. This buzzing sound keeps continuing. (I don't really hear it anymore)
When I play games and some minutes into the game my computer starts to slow down and it starts to freeze. Then I try to alt tab or all the shortcuts control alt delete. Doesn't work. I also see tiny little grey lines around my mouse, it's like in a square. Tiny little grey lines in a square, I can move my mouse but everything else has frozen. I then have to restart my computer. When I restarted my computer there was like little blue lines going down my screen not many only 3 or 4 or something. The blue lines happen when it goes to the loading screen where it says windows is loading and has a blue bar that goes across. It also has a few blue dots near the bar that goes across. When that loading is finished nothing appears on my screen it is just black. Just now I turned off my computer for a while hoping that it was just a heating problem. I turned it back on and it works I just have the buzzing sound.

Someone please help me what to do I don't want my computer to break or get worse! Anything will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Emil.

Edit: Ok, now my computer got worse. There are many lines during startup now white lines and stuff. When I get to the loading windows screen with the blue bars there are many blue lines. The lines are in groups like there are 4 lines close together then a gap then 4 lines close together something like that. I can't start my computer at all now it just goes black after the windows loading thing. Right now I am in safe mode with network. Safe mode with network works fine please someone help me I'm about to cry!

My computer freezes when I try to boot up in normal mode too!

When I opened my computer and listened carfully there was a tiny rattling sound coming from my graphics card. I'm not sure if that is normal or anything.
Any help would be appreciated! Thankyou so much in advance.

Edit2: The game that I played was World of Warcraft and Day of Defeat:Source. They are pretty graphical games I guess.

Edited by emilm, 21 February 2006 - 02:31 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bad fan on graphics card, so the graphic card is overheating

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The fan on your graphics card is dying. This is causing the fan noise and the lines on the monitor when it is getting too hot. If you cannot replace the fan on the card then its time to think about buying a new card. If the computer is living in a dusty environment(which would cause the fans to clog up)it may be time to think about putting air filters on the computer or moving the computer to a less dusty area. You are playing games that really work the graphics card causing it to overheat.

SRX660

pippl

pippl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
you can stil handle that, not necessary to buy new card, try msiab and read instructions here, very clear:
http://www.technonse...s-when-booting/