Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network user restriction

• Please log in to reply

-polarbear

-polarbear

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
im sharing some files on a network (windows 2000 here) and was wondering how to restrict a specific user on the network from acessing my files. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Go to the permissions properties and add the user and set his/her permission to DENY READ, WRITE, FULL CONTROL

-polarbear

-polarbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
thats the problem, when i go to add the user, its not listed. it only looks in my computer and wont allow me to look elsewhere...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why exactly are you not wanting to share with this particular user? What kind of network is this? Domain or workgroup?

-polarbear

-polarbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
the user i want to deny access to is under WORKGROUP. i have a lot of entertainment stuff which is distracting this guy from his studys and hes gonna flunk out if i dont cut him off :tazz: i can find his computer on the network under workgroup, but not in the permissions property for the files

Edited by -polarbear, 21 February 2006 - 07:05 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and must you share this stuff with everyone else? How many people must this stuff be shared with?

-polarbear

-polarbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
not that many, only a few use it mayb 3-5 people

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In a workgroup setting, if you know his log on name, create that user account on your machine and lock his permissions down

or

Remove the everyone group and create USER accounts for everyone else, then allow only them by adding them to the permission share

-polarbear

-polarbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
k thanks ill try that