Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Comp

• Please log in to reply

Prominia

Prominia

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
If I wanted to build a new computer, (Being the first i built myselft) would i be able to take out some stuff from my old computer such as...

Fans
Harddrives
Ram
Disk Drives

And if so is there anything else i should take from my old computer, or just get rid of everything together.

Thanks for helping,
Prominia

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
This depends on the parts in your computer. please post.

much of the time, optical drives and fans are a good choice to transfer. truthfully all of the parts (cept the motherboard) are good to transfer, but you wouldnt want to , cause your goal is to have a better pc, not using all the same old parts. your hard drive you probably want a bigger faster one, otherwise that is good to transfer after a reformat. your ram depending on the speed is probably the most easiest thing to tranfer, but due to ram being cheap, i say get new faster ram for your new comp.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
since this comp already has over a gig i was thinking of taking it out, and I recently got a new harddrive in this computer thats 250 gb, but the fans im not too sure about and i would definetally want a new graphics, sound card and motherboard.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you would probably want a new mobo to go with the cpu unless its allready got the current socket type otherwise it wouldnt be an upgrade just a change of case, fans it depends if it fits the case, although the cost of fans is low and if its old it wont have 120mm fans which is the size you aim for in a new pc.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
thanks for the help...
So it seems i should take my ram and harddrive with me, and thats all

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As long as the ram is a good speed, eg ddr400 if its ddr333 get some new stuff if you can.

Prominia

Prominia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
OK thanks for the help.