Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

...NEED help, bad...

• Please log in to reply

MTeer

MTeer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
First of all, I am a novice at computers. I recently bought a Seagate External Hard-drvie to put my photos & movies on it...so as not over load my internal hard drive. This is a "plug & play" device. I installed the hard-drive and it shows up in my "CONTROL PANEL"...however, it will not let me open the drive to put my files in it. I get this message [i]"[u]This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your System Administrator".

...Well I contact Best Buy (where I bought the item) and they told me go into the control panel...click "User Account" and reset the security settings??? ...I open the control panel> User Ac't> but there is no securtiy settings on the window!!! Can anyone help he with the removal of this [b]"RESTRICTION"
???

...BTW...I am the Administrator! ...I have checked the Hard-drive in the system it shows "HEALTHY". It is listed on my computer...it just won't let me use it.

...THANKS to all who respond!!!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Power up the external hd. Then go to start, my compuer. Select the external hd, right click, select sharing and security. This is where you make the changes needed to allow you access.

MTeer

MTeer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dear Austin...THANKS, I tried your approach...but still getting the "RESTRICITON" notice. I dragged the Hard-drive into shared documents as the window sharing & security advised me...but still can't open get the restriction notice.

...Any other suggestions will be welcomed!!! ...THANKS!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
regedit
<enter>

navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

right click the folder, choose EXPORT, call it policy.reg and save it to the desktop, then go to the desktop, right click, choose SEND TO > COMPRESSED folder, this will make a zip

attach that to your next post

MTeer

MTeer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Please forgive my ignorance...But how do I attach the zip-file you wanted to my post??? I am truly a rookie...but learning fast!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
by clickiung the REPLY button, at the bottom is a browse button that says ADD attchment

navigate to the file

MTeer

MTeer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm trying to attach this folder you requested but can't seem to drag into the window space...when I do It changes the window.

...Still trying!!! ...Hope I did it!!!

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nothing in the zip

ok, let's try it this way

right click the policy.reg, choose OPEN WITH, then choose notepad

copy and paste the entire contents in yoiur next post

MTeer

MTeer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
...I know your helping & I truly appreciate it...but I got a question, If I send these zip-folders in this forum could anybody other than yourself open it and ccontaminate my coumputer???

...I'm really a novice. Learning more everyday but I have heard some terrible things about opening files through the internet. Any truth to that??? ...I just want to be cautious.

...THANKS a bunch...MTeer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ANyone can open your file, but they cannot contaminate your computer...it would be like puting it on a floppy drive and handing it to someone....the file cannot effect you

MTeer

MTeer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for answering my question. I'm still trying to send you the next step. Thanks for your patience.

MTeer

MTeer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
...After about a million times of trying...I hope I did everything right.
...I truly appreciate you take all this time with me. I apologize in not getting back with you sooner. But my Dad has been sick and I have been down to the hospital for hours helping him.

THANKS, GerryF

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:00000091
"NoDrives"=dword:00000000
"NoViewOnDrive"=dword:00000800
"NoDriveAutoRun"=hex:ff,ff,ff,03

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall]

\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies]

[HKEY_CURRENT

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is not complete

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff