Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two DLL Errors upon boot

• Please log in to reply

Sideshow

Sideshow

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey guys,

Im a younger person(14), and I am somewhat familiar with computers, I have modded xboxes and done numerous things to our old computer. I just built my first computer for my family. Heres the specs.

Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon 3200+
eVGA nForce4 Mobo
BFG Tech 6600 GT OC
Kingston 1 Gig DDR Ram
Maxtor 250g SATA HD
D-link Network card
380 Watt PSU

The computer had been working just fine before this, I had run all my drivers, got my network working, anti-virus program in, MSN 7.5 and some others. Had been fine for about 1.4 days.

My brother was on the computer, he was surfing the net and he said there was a window that popped up that said "Check Disk". I have a feeling it was longer than this, but very well may not be. He said right after, the computer shut down and gave him errors upon boot.

I tried to boot the computer and I got errors saying:

DLL C:/Windows/system32/shell32.dll invalid windows image <----Tried XP disc and did nothing
Logon User Interface DLL.msgina <----Tried XP Disc and did nothing as well. This one tells me to.

One thing I did notice is even after doing everything and having the computer work, I still had to press F1 to get passed my screen with temps and devices hooked up page.

Now I didnt really get any results from search, and going through past 4 or so pages gave me just different DLL errors. I am posting this with our other computer. I hope you guys can help me out, I dont want to look like a fool infront of my family. :tazz:

Edited by Sideshow, 21 February 2006 - 08:53 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Sideshow...

Pretty nice machine for a first build! :tazz:

Before you do anything else, you need to go to the Malware Forum and get your machine checked for malware.

Once the machine is clean, there are a couple of things you can do for this. The first is System File Check or sfc:

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

The second (try this if the sfc doesn't bring the desired results) is an In-Place Uprade, or Repair Installation:

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

The important thing is to get the malware off before doing these procedures. Go to the Malware Forum (from the link I provided above), read the instructions, run the tools, and post a HJT (HiJack This) log for the experts to look at.

wannabe1

Sideshow

Sideshow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I cant even boot though, right after the windows loading screen it gives me the errors. I cant get on and download anything to rid of Malware or anything.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm guessing you mean

shell32.dll
msgina.dll

These are two of the most important DLLs in Windows...given the short amount of time invested in this machine, you might be better off just re-installing rather than trying to fix it

p.s.--one reason for the crash might be that you did not use the most uptodate sata drivers...download them from the motherboard maker before re-installing

Sideshow

Sideshow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay thanks!

If I want to reinstall windows how will I get rid of whats left of it on my hard drive? Because right now It dosnt matter when I put in the XP Pro CD, it dosnt do anything.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this the case even when you put the cd in the cd-rom drive and reboot?

Sideshow

Sideshow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes. I tried from just pushing the power button when it was off too. Inserting when it told me to and giving it 10-20 seconds and hitting ok as well.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the CD-ROM set as the first boot device in the BIOS Settings? The XP CD should boot the machine automatically.

Sideshow

Sideshow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think its set as the second boot device, Ill change it and try again when Im home from school.

Sideshow

Sideshow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay.

It now will go to the XP Pro Steup screen, But When I try to repair, it says some of the files are unable to get from disc. However the disc is BRAND new and shiny with no scratches on bottom.

I tried to just reinstall, but It says that installing it on C (Same partition as it was on before) may cause issues with the reinstall. Should I go ahead and do it? Or how do I delete the old XP files?

Let me know...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you are not given the option to delete the existing partition, I would go ahead and install windows to a different directory (winxp perhaps)

Then, after install, I would delete c:\windows (the old windows installation), then edit the boot.ini file to remove the extra windows selection in the start menu

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, XP will usually create it's own installation directory in the root directory, First install will be to the Windows folder...the second to Windows.0 and so on. Once XP is installed and you have recovered the files from the previous installation (yau may have to take ownership of these to move them to the new install), post back and we'll remove the old XP.

wannabe1

Sideshow

Sideshow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yesss...

I got Windows to reinstall, and now everything seems to be back to normal.

BUT, I need to install my SATA drivers and when I put the floppy in, it does nothing. When I go to My computer and click floppy, I get about 8 or 9 files, and I dont know which one I should open. Any help with this would be great!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you list the names of the files here for me?

Also, take a peek in the C: drive and see if you now have two windows folders.

Sideshow

Sideshow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Files Are:

Disk1
idecoi.dll 1.0.0.1 (NVIDIA IDE Coinstaller)
Nvata (Security Catalog)
Nvatabus (Setup Info)
NvAtaBus (System File)
Nvcchflt (System File)
nvcoi.dll 1.0.0.16 (NVIDIA Driver Coinstaller)
Nvide.nvu (NVU File)
Nvraid(Security Catalog)
nvraid(Setup Info)
Nvraid(System File)
Nvraidco.dll 5.10.2600.359 (NVIDIA RAID CONTROLLER)
nvuide (NVIDIA Unistaller Utility)
txtsetup.oem (OEM File)

This Floppy says on label:

SERIAL ATA (150/300) RAID DRIVERS FOR EVGA NFORCE4 MOTHER BOARD MODELS (etcetc)
SUPPORTED OS: Windows XP (32 bit), Windows 2000.

And I Only have one windows folder.