Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two DLL Errors upon boot

• Please log in to reply

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Question:
Never use SATA Hd but isn't the drive should be loaded before the XP file even copy in instalation process?

Advertisements

Sideshow

Sideshow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
In XP Setup when it says "Press F6 if you want to install a etcetc" I hit F6 and loaded it, but its not on my add/remove hardware list like my other drivers.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Hey Slishow, I found this , hope it will help:

Installing Windows

Once you have the drive(s) connected you are ready to start installing XP.

Master and Slave

Remeber since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

SATA controller driver

Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders.

BIOS settings

When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver

Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.

With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited

Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device

Sideshow

Sideshow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay...Computer seems to be stable...Says SATA 1 Maxtor bunch of numbers. Its all good.

Thanks alot guys!!!