Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound, mysterious

• Please log in to reply

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My sound stopped working mysteriously all of the sudden. I don't know what it is, but I noticed the computer has problems generating sound. Like when I open Windows Media Player, the visualizationschug like the computer is having problems making sound. The card is a creative AWE 64, and it has no support anymore, it isn't even really supported for XP. So at this point I am considering just switching to my MOBO audio, I know how to enable it in BIOS, but I don't know how to switch all the drivers and actually get it working. If the sound doesn't work after the switch, I can be relatively sure that its a problem with the motherboard. Also, could it be that I need a sound driver for my MOBO? It's a Chaintec 7AJA2(E).

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja...

Try this first...

Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu.

Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that your Sound device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu.

Under the "Voice" tab, make sure the Your Sound device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.

Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot

Sound?

wannabe1

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
That didn't work, everything is still the same

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Device Manager (Right click "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab then the "Device Manager" button). Are any devices listed with a yellow ? or !

Download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it, save a report, and ATTACH the report to your next post. This will give us the information we need to help you find the drivers you may need.

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
There were no devices marked

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, and type services.msc...click "Ok".

Scroll down the list to Windows Audio. Under "Status", is it Started?

wannabe1

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
it's started.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try switching to the integrated (onboard) audio device and see if you regain your sound...

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I can do it in BIOS, but i might need some help changing all the settings in windows.

Edited by Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja, 25 February 2006 - 11:10 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just let us know if you run into a problem... :tazz:

Advertisements

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I disabled my sound card in BIOS and enabled onboard sound. But that's all I did. Anyway, I'm getting some sound in in Volume Control, but nowhere else. I was wondering how to finish switching to onboard audio. Should I go ahead and plug my speakers into the audio port for the MOBO? And how do I switch to onboard audio in windows? because my soundcard is still set as the audio device.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Should I go ahead and plug my speakers into the audio port for the MOBO?

Yes, you'll need to do this.

Then open Device Manager and look at the listing for "Other Devices". Any yellow ? or ! ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Also look under "Sound, video, and game controllers".

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I didn't see a listing for other devices, also no marks anywhere. Also I'm not getting any sound again, not even in volume control

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Go back to my first post (#2) and make sure that the onboard audio device is set as the default device...just go through the whole post and make sure that any reference to a device is to the integrated audio.