Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Help - need to reinstall Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there

My colleague has a Sony Vaio laptop that she recently purchased from Ebay, unfortunately it is an Italian laptop and comes complete with the Italian version of windows XP. Having been informed by the nice customer service man at Sony that there is no way to get the italian version of xp to show everything in english she has bought an English copy of Windows XP home to install instead.

I followed your instructions on how to reinstall/repair xp however when i get to the screen where i chose which copy of windows to repair/or reinstall i am presented with two partitions, neither of which have Microsoft windows listed on them. I chose to install on the C:\ partition and it tells me taht there is already an operating sytem installed and trying to run two operating systems simultaneously on the same partition could cause problems.

Please could you tell me how to uninstall the italian version of xp and then install the english version.

Many thanks

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi hannahyoung!

What you need to do first before installing windows is to delete the two partitions listed. So when you get to the screen showing the two partitions, you want to highlight each one and hit D to delete the partition. On the following screens hit ENTER/L to confirm the deletion. When you finally only have unpartitioned space showing, you want to hit C to create the partition and then ENTER to confirm the creation of the partition. Then, with the newly created partition highlighted, hit ENTER once again and then on the next screen choose Format with NTFS, but DO NOT CHOOSE FORMAT WITH NTFS (QUICK]!. The drive will then be formatted, taking about one minute per gigabyte to format and once it's completed the setup files will be copied over to the harddrive. Then your computer will reboot itself once rebooted, setup will begin. Make sure NOT to boot from the CD after the reboot, let it boot from the harddrive or else you will just go right back into windows setup.

Edited by Fenor, 22 February 2006 - 06:25 AM.