Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for Hub/Router to Share Internet/Network Computers

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Currently I have a 5 port Linksys Hub for my home network. This is connected to another hub which connects to two other desktops as well a WAP which is used for my laptop. As well, this main hub which is hooked onto my main computer is connected to a 3rd desktop as well as two networked printers. The way I have it currently set up I have a broadband modem connected to my main computer.
I use Windows Internet Connection Sharing then to share this connection with the other computers. The problem with this is if my main computer goes down for any reason the internet connection then doesn't work with the other computers. As well, I use ZoneAlarm on all computers for firewall protection. It is supposed to work with Internet Connection Sharing but yet I can't get it to and don't want to go without a firewall. I have a friend who has a router set up to share his internet connection which solves this problem but yet it doesn't actually network his computers. He isn't able to share his printer, files, or anything which is important to me. I have a printer connected via usb to this main computer and store all main data files on this computer and use it mainly as a server. Is there any type of hardware available that will act as a router to share my internet connection without me having to use Internet Connection Sharing but as well share my printer and files? I saw the BEFSR81 but does this do that? As well, when I read up on this there was talk of a lot of quality issues.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Mark W and welcome to G2G,

The BEFSR81 you mentioned will solve all your Physical setup problems of internet connectivity and getting rid of ICS, but it only has a meager Hardware firewall with very small customization options (AS WITH ANY ROUTER HARDWARE FIREWALLS).

As for sharing resources (Folders, Drives, Hardware) amongst your networked computers, this can be accomplished using Windows' built in sharing ability (which happens to require a little user knowledge, or at the very least some direction from someone with a little knowledge for setup :tazz: ).

As for security in firewalls, I can understand why you would use ICS with Zonealarm on top of it, but in the route you are wanting to go, for file and resource sharing, zone alarm is not our friend (or any other third party firewall) just simply for difficulty in it's configuration with sharing.

If you decide to go this route, post back or send me a PM and we can walk you through the process for physical setup, and Resource sharing setup.

PS.
If you do come up with a Hardware option that will solve this problem, post back and let me know, as I couldn't find anything on it.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Why do you not plug your modem straight in to a hub.
I have dsl modem plugged to phone jack in wall. Then the ethernet out
goes to my 5 port hub then my computers go to my hub that way all the computers have access to the internet without any other computer having to be on.
I can hare all files and printer
Even have a mac on the system

Edited by peterm, 25 February 2006 - 02:23 AM.