Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I find out max CPU I can stick in this thing?

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'd like to build a new comp., but since that's not an option right now, I'm weighing the idea of upgrading my cpu. (I've already upgraded PSU, memory, and vidcard.) I have a Sony RZ32G (2.6 p4 478pin, Northwood?), which is okay, but I am curious if:
1. Upgrading CPU will better game performance?
2. What CPU the mobo/bios will accept?
3. How to find that out?
(chipset per CPUID=8086:2570.02, 8086:24DB.02)

I appreciate any help. Thanks
JB

Edited by JimB, 22 February 2006 - 10:41 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist way to find out is thru the bios. Does the MB support Hyperthreading? If so you can run a 3.4 processor with a 800 FSB if the bios supports it. If your bus speed will only go up to 533 the fastest processor will be the 2.8 which will not improve your speed much. The faster processors will run on the 533 bus but will be limited by that bus. Probably what your best bet is to get a gig of ram, and a higher end video card. A Nvidia 6800 video card with 256mb memory would help. You will still be limited but it will help the most. Cost is the factor here. A gig of memory costs around $80-90, the 6800 card that is affordable is the GS model at $220. Thats already 1/3 the cost of a new puter.

http://esupport.sony...=PCVRZ32G&LOC=3

I build a new puter every six months just to keep up with the trends. It is far cheaper than upgrading a older puter. I usually spend $1000-1500 for the new puter and usually sell my oldest one for around $500. I'm building a Aspire X/Qpack right now with a cost of $840 for a AMD 3700 processor, foxconn MB, gig of corsair ram, DVD-RW, 6800GS video card, Audigy sound card and some modified fans. The price you pay to keep up. After a year or 18 months i sell the oldest puter off.

SRX660

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

The easist way to find out is thru the bios. Does the MB support Hyperthreading? If so you can run a 3.4 processor with a 800 FSB if the bios supports it. If your bus speed will only go up to 533 the fastest processor will be the 2.8 which will not improve your speed much. The faster processors will run on the 533 bus but will be limited by that bus. Probably what your best bet is to get a gig of ram, and a higher end video card. A Nvidia 6800 video card with 256mb memory would help. You will still be limited but it will help the most. Cost is the factor here. A gig of memory costs around $80-90, the 6800 card that is affordable is the GS model at $220. Thats already 1/3 the cost of a new puter.

http://esupport.sony...=PCVRZ32G&LOC=3

I build a new puter every six months just to keep up with the trends. It is far cheaper than upgrading a older puter. I usually spend $1000-1500 for the new puter and usually sell my oldest one for around $500. I'm building a Aspire X/Qpack right now with a cost of $840 for a AMD 3700 processor, foxconn MB, gig of corsair ram, DVD-RW, 6800GS video card, Audigy sound card and some modified fans. The price you pay to keep up. After a year or 18 months i sell the oldest puter off.

SRX660

He already has 2gb of ram and his pc is 800mhz front side bus. I looked on his signature. The northwood processors go up to 2.8ghz which the motherboard in your pc is mainly built for northwoods. Prescotts came out abit later on and is the newer core of the pentium 4 chips. The prescotts would probably work in your current motherboard and they go up to 3.4 ghz on the socket 478 cpus. There is really no since getting a new pc for you because it is fast enough for basically anything. It really doesnt make since getting a cpu to 3.0ghz for example. You will be wasting your money.. I would just save your money up and in 6months or less buy a whole new pc system that is dual core.

Save up for an amd dual core x2 or in 6 months the better amd dual cores might be out.

Edited by jrm20, 22 February 2006 - 03:10 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wouldn't risk putting a new cpu in even if you can without talking to sony...sony, hp, compaq are all very tightly wound little machines that aren't exactly designed for flexibility and expandability

jrm speaks true with regard to what SHOULD work, but what should and what will.....well.

Anyway, most games are not CPU dependent, but rather are GPU dependent. The videocard makes the big difference

IF you can replace the videocard, do so---the thing they put in there is a throwback to the old geforce2 days (the mx440 is a geforce2 on steroids, but not even GOOD steroids)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya I was going to say a video card but he already has a fast video card listed in his signature that I happened to look over. Says he has a 6800gt already. I deleted that part of my last post.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, my bad...I was looking at the original system specs....piece of crap mx440...barely get doom2 to work on that....:tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ahh, my bad...I was looking at the original system specs....piece of crap mx440...barely get doom2 to work on that....:tazz:

LOL yeah the mx440 was a piece.

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks y'all.
I guess I wait for now. Any tips for maxin' out game performance as is?

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
it really depends on what game but there is always a few tips.

1. if running at 1280x1024 or what ever the max res is and you feel stutter, turn down the res to 800x600 which puts more stress on the CPU and gives the gfx card a lot less work to do. but if you're CPU can't take it at 800x600 then up it to 1024x768 which gives the best balance between the CPU and gfx card.
2. run the games in the same res as the desktop for better stability.
3.disable any high quality sound if you have intergrated sound. this way it takes a lot of stress off the CPU. keep the quality of sound to a bare minimum because unless you're the next Fatal1ty, you won't need to have sound that let's you know exactly were someone is coming from!
4. get a separate sound card to take the stress of the CPU if you simply can't do with low sound
5. because your RAM is more than enough, see if you can disable virtual memory as this cause a lot of lag seen on games
6. upgrade you're HDD, although not the most important, a faster HDD can cut out on annoying loading times and ensure that texture caching is not slowing down the work of the fx card

what games were you looking at playing?