Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

High fan speeds linked to 'breaking' thermal paste?

• Please log in to reply

biggeral

biggeral

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I took the heatsink off my 3.4GHz P4 today for the first time, and once I replaced it, the cooling fan runs at a ridiculous speed as soon as any sort of moderate load is put on the CPU. I don't think it's overheating, as the fan kicks in as soon as you up the load, suggesting its speed is (at least partially) linked to CPU usage. I'm just wanting some reassurance that this is only because i 'broke' the thermal paste and i haven't done anything else without knowing! The heatsink is fully secured over the processor. I have some arctic silver 5 on order thankfully, so hopefully that should fix it... :tazz:

BTW It has a decent fan on the heatsink which i've only ever heard run up to high speed previously when the system starts up and tests the revvs.

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers,

BiggerAl

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
when you pulled the heatsink off...did you wipe off the thermal paste...and reapply before reseating the sink?

biggeral

biggeral

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No I didn't, but I will as soon as it arrives in the mail! I was just surprised at the dramatic difference it made... :tazz:

Cheers,

BiggerAl