Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI slot for for more IDE connections

• Please log in to reply

kevinski

kevinski

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey.

I have recently bought a new hard drive and went to install it in my pc only to find i had ran out of space on my motherboard to attach the ide ribbon cable.

so i get this 'pci peripheral controller card' and stick that in, wire up my hard drive and boot up my computer. i then install the drivers off the cd and restart my computer.

during bios there is an extra menu that appears, it gives me 2 options:

"Press <Ctrl-F> or <Ctrl-E> to enter setup utility or
Press <Esc> to continue booting"

at first i let it continue into windows, which it does. When my computer has finished loading up, i go to check if the HDD is there in 'my computer' but it isn't. I check the 'device manager' to see if the pci card is there and it is and is functioning fine apparantley.

but my HDD is no where to be seen!

what can i do to install my HDD? (i only want to use it as a slave drive for storing files)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you did not mention the make or model of the pci card...., that said, did you partition and format the drive yet

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose MANAGE, scroll down to DISK MANAGEMENT

Select the new drive, right click, partition and format

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
aha... that did it! thanks

i just went into disk managment, and made it dynamic, formatted it, and it was done.

thanks gerryf

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok...you didn't need to make it dynamic...you can, just didn't need to ...a basic disk will suffice.

kevinski

kevinski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well what does making it a dynamic drive do? it seemed to be the only option out the two that let me format the drive.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You should have been able to make it a basic disk...that said, don't worry about it

Dynamic Disks are dynamic volumes rather than static partitions and actually have more interesting possibilities as far as software RAID setups, extending volumes, etc.

The only drawback is that you need to have windows 2k or xp to read it...but that pretty much applies ntfs. It's really only an issue if you plan on multibooting with linux