Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Paper Weight

• Please log in to reply

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hello,

I am trying to figure out the weight of paper? g/m2...
In my example it is a double sided matte paper, 9.5 ml thick, 270g/M2
I cannot figure out how to convert this into pounds? I have done quite a bit of research and frankly I dont understand it. Can anyone help me with this? I believe I have all necessary information, I just dont know how to do the conversion?

Thank you in advance.

Ken

:tazz:

Edited by rivekm, 22 February 2006 - 02:28 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not the best math student...but i would first convert the grams to pounds then the m2 to feet2...
1 grams = 0.00220462262 pounds
or http://www.metric-co...s-to-pounds.htm

1 meters = 3.2808399 feet
or http://www.qsl.net/w4sat/feetconv.htm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
0.5952480685302487 lbs /3.2800000000000002 feet squared

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Why would you want to change it from metric, its bad practice to convert units unless you have to especially since its a relativley easy caclculation.

Or if you have to do it inimperial, do it in first grams as its easier by the nature of the metric system to do mathematics with it thats why it was created. Its pretty simple sum and there would be less of an error if you convert afterwards.

Mass of paper= Area of paper (m^2) * the grams per square meter(g/M^2) , then just plug xxx grams into pounds into google and itll do it.

You can work out the calculation by using the units.

Its essentially a crude density calculation except they have either taken into account the thickness or merely discarded it, in order to calculate the exact weight you would need the papers density in g/m^3.

Edited by warriorscot, 22 February 2006 - 02:52 PM.

rivekm

rivekm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks to both of you.

:tazz: :) :)

yesiammanu

yesiammanu

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
D=M/V
You know the density(All paper is the same?)

Volumes easy
So... find the variable.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What are you doing this thread was done ages ago, and not all paper has the same density it depends on what paper it is and how good the manufacturing process but thats irrelevant why are you posting to threads that are done.