Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

McAfee detects trojans after WinsockXPfix install

• Please log in to reply

Ray382

Ray382

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I was having problems visiting some State government websites to look at job openings. After working with my internet provider and extensive research online, I found and downloaded WinsockXPfix. When I ran it, it suggested allowing it to back-up my registry before proceeding with the install. I authorized the back-up request and it did its thing and reboot at the end. I checked the State website and was now able to browse the sections I was having problems with. The problem now is that my McAfee anti-virus scanner keeps popping up every so often to inform me that it detected a Trojan and the file has been deleted. Then it will suggest that I scan my PC now. The message I get goes something like this:-

A0071264.exe in C:\System Volume Information\_restore{A9C3245A-83E8-4EA1-838F-3145703553F2}\RP582\ was infected by Generic.cd trojan

The first time after the winsockxpfix, it found over 400 files similar to the one above which it said I had to get rid of. I did, but every day, I still get notified about 5 to 8 times per day of these similar System Volume Information\_restore trojans being deleted and prompting me to scan my PC. On that first day, it found UnSpyPC.dr and another unwanted program called FavAdd. Another was JV/Demo_AuditMyPc.

I am glad that WinsockXPfix got my computer to be able to browse the websites I was having problem getting to, but why is McAfee now finding all these trojans in C:\System Volume Information\_restore... ? There are a couple other names that it finds on a daily bases besides Generic.cd trojan. I can't remember the names right now, but if I leave the PC on for some hours, McAfee will pop up another "found and deleted trojan".

I looked through Add/Remove program but can't find WinsockXPfix to uninstall. Can't find it in Program files either. Is it possible to remove it or am I stuck with it. Any help to solve this will be appreciated. I have run Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot search and destroy, and McAfee anti-virus scanner, with PC in Safe-Mode. The problem still persists.

Thanks for your help,

Jay

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your problem is that trojan settings are being detected in your system restore folder

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose SYSTEM RESTORE tab, then TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE

Windows will clear the restore points.

Then TURN ON SYSTEM RESTORE again

Then, please visit our MALWARE forum and follow the instructions at the top to ensure you are truly clear