Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive Missing

• Please log in to reply

Bob73

Bob73

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My CD drive is no longer available. I'm using 98SE. My BIOS finds the drive but Windows doesn't. I have changed the CD drive and the same problem exists, the BIOS finds the new drive but Windows doesn't. I have moved it from Secondary IDE to Primary IDE, swapped ribbon cables from hard drive to CD, changed from slave to master. There is nothing under Device Manager. I have tried to force it under Add New Hardware without success. Also when in BIOS setup there are choices in one level on the IDE's like None, Auto, CDROM, etc. I'm not sure of these but have tried both Auto and CDROM without success. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited by Bob73, 22 February 2006 - 05:41 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Bob73

In Device Manager, click on the + next to Hard disk controllers to open that branch. Make sure the Primary and Secondary IDE controllers are listed and they don't have a yellow exclamation (!) mark next to them. If one is not visible, the controller may be disabled in the BIOS setup. If there is an exclamation mark, the CD-ROM drive may be defective.

wannabe1

Bob73

Bob73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your response. The only thing I have under "Hard Disk Controllers" is "Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller 244B".
I don't think they are disabled in BIOS as I haven't seen a selection to do so.
Both my Hard Drive and CD Drive show up as recognized in BIOS.
Again thank you for responding.
Bob

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Have you tried the CD gone patch?

Download the CD gone patch from here: http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=15

After you download it, unzip it. Double-click on the file called cdgone. It will ask you if you want to add the information in cdgone to the registry. Tell it Yes. After it adds it, restart your computer.

Let me know if you can see your drive or not.

Bob73

Bob73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried the cdgone patch and still don't have a CD. My CD does show up in the registry and BIOS but that's all. I'm starting to wonder if an external CD would work or would the same problem exists if it has something to do with Windows 98.
Thanks much for your responses.
Bob

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Go back to Device Manager.

Go to the catagory called DVD/CD-ROM drives (or whatever the CD catagory is in Win98). Right-click on your CD drive and select Uninstall.

After it is uninstalled, reboot your computer. It should be detected and reinstalled correctly. Check for it in My Computer.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 26 February 2006 - 06:35 PM.

Bob73

Bob73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The CD does not show up in Device Manager which is basically the problem. Windows no longer sees the drive.
I believe I'm at the point where my only option to correct the problem on this PC is to reformat and reinstall 98. Having too much software (downloaded over the years) that I wouldn't be able to recover I don't believe I'll take that option. I may try an external drive but I'm thinking if it can't find the IDE drive it won't see the external either.
Again I thank everyone for their input.
Bob

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm just about outta ideas...

The problem could be related to your CD burning software, if you have any. I'd try uninstalling any programs related to CD burning. And then, after doing that, try the CDgone patch again. Restart the computer after using it.

Or it could be due to an infection. Try starting your computer up into Safe Mode and let me know if you can see your drive.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 01 March 2006 - 05:43 PM.

ded1966

ded1966

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What do you do when your computer won't let you download cdgone. It says that it is a file that real time player does not reconize.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Somehow you have Real Time player associated with zip files.
When you click on the cdgone file are you telling it to open with or to save?

Save the file to your desktop then open with a zip program like
winzip, winrar or 7zip

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Just out of curiosity Bob73, have you ever used a "virtual CD-ROM drive" software?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
This topic is over 3 years old, I hope the problem is resolved by now :)

-mp

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
:) I didn't notice that!!