Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

strange desktop problem

• Please log in to reply

zoloft

zoloft

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi, first off, im sorry that i am computer illiterate.

My computer has been running fine, but a while back, the desktop began to have strange lines. the lines ranged from all sorts of colors. all i remember is, is that after i played day of defeat (counter strike), the screen on day of defeat changed to the colored lines to a point that i could not see where i was going. i thought this was just a game problem, so i restarted my computer, but as i was restarting, the words that come out as you restart a computer began to seem messed up as well. my desktop after this restart seemed fine, but then again, the lines appeared on only my desktop icons this time.

I would appreciate any help and information, thank you.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like a videocard overheating

open the case and clean the dustbunnies--make certain all fans are moving freely

zoloft

zoloft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ahhh really? thanks a lot will try :tazz:

edit- i tried that but seems that it happenned again right after. the lines appear on the screens before i see my desktop too, except theyre not lines, theyre words that seem messed up. there are little boxes everywhere too.

Edited by zoloft, 22 February 2006 - 10:33 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would borrow a videocard from another machine and see if the problem recurs...

was the fan on the card very dirty? Was it spinning free? could be damaged now

zoloft

zoloft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
the fans were spinning fine and it was not that dirty. i doubt they are damaged. the problem occurs once in a while and when it does, restarting the computer a few times seems to fix the problem. should i be worried?

Edited by zoloft, 23 February 2006 - 12:36 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
worried, no, but I still think your videocard is in trouble--if it dies, replace the videocard.

If you have a second videocard, try using that for a little while

zoloft

zoloft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
thanks a lot, will do that once i get one. thanks once again :tazz: