Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

America Online problems deleting all files

• Please log in to reply

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I Have Windows XP Home Edition, SP2, and IE6, SP2. Also am on Verizon Yahoo for Broadband.

I recently uninstalled America Online from the Add/Remove, then deleted it from the Programs folder. Then went to Start, Run, regedit, and deleted America Online from there. When I go to Start, Search and key in America Online, I get nothing. But if I key in AOL, I get a bunch of items. I check the properties to make sure they are America on Line. I try to delete them, but will get a message on some of them that the disk is full, or You are attempting to open a file of type Device Driver.

When going to Program Files, Common Files, there is an AOL folder in there, but when I try to delete it, I get cannot delete. Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I go into Safe Mode and try to delete AOL items, but having problems there, too. When in Safe Mode, I go to Start, Search for Files and Folders, and I select All Files and Folders, the search box is whited out (this has been going on for some time now). I try to guess where the search box would be, and I type in AOL (in this instance), and then when I go to press Search, the computer freezes. Ctrl, Alt, Delete will not work and I have to power down.

Any suggestions – not only about AOL, but why the search box is whited out?

I do an antivirus scan and antispyware scan almost every day.

Thanks much.

Anna Ruth :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
for search, start by downloading/installing this:

http://www.microsoft...EB-95A22B832CAA

As for AOL....please download and run hijackthis and ATTACH ATTACH ATTACH the log (do not POST)

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

for search, start by downloading/installing this:

http://www.microsoft...EB-95A22B832CAA

As for AOL....please download and run hijackthis and ATTACH ATTACH ATTACH the log (do not POST)

Uh, OH, did I write in your territoty? Sorry if I am. I did download the microsoft download. I rebooted and went to Safe Mode, the search, and computer froze. Did it another time (this was last night) and it still froze. But this morning I tried it again. The search box was still whited out, but I was able to get to it by pulling the up and down arrow, and I did key in AOL and got there without the computer freezing. Thank you. Still do not understand why the search box is whited out in Safe Mode, but it is not when I am in normal mode.

I will try to do the Hijack This this evening.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Open Explorer and go to the Windows\inf folder.

The Windows\inf folder is a hidden folder. If you are not set up to view hidden files and folders, you need to open MY COMPUTER, choose Folder Options > View tab, then check Show hidden files and folders.

Locate the srchasst.inf file.

Right click it and select Install.

You'll need your XP CD or the files from the i386 folder.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Uh, OH, did I write in your territoty? Sorry if I am.

:tazz: I don't understand

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Uh, OH, did I write in your territoty? Sorry if I am. I did download the microsoft download. I rebooted and went to Safe Mode, the search, and computer froze. Did it another time (this was last night) and it still froze. But this morning I tried it again. The search box was still whited out, but I was able to get to it by pulling the up and down arrow, and I did key in AOL and got there without the computer freezing. Thank you. Still do not understand why the search box is whited out in Safe Mode, but it is not when I am in normal mode.

I will try to do the Hijack This this evening.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

:tazz: I don't understand

I thought maybe I had answered in the wrong box. Anyway, I just tried to attach the Hijack this log and got this message: Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension.

Anyway, I see there is another suggestion. Will try that.

I get into more messes. Earlier this evening I installed Google Desktop package. Did not like it. So uninstalled a few things at first - McAffee, and something else.

Then a little later I unstalled the Tool bar that was installed. When I rebooted, it just came to the desktop and no icons. Rebooted several times and no icons. Finally, brought up Task Manager and did a System Restore to yesterday.

Anyway, before I did the Hijack This, I scanned with my antispyware, antivirus, did Ccleaner, CWShredder, Microsoft Antispyware, Ad-Aware. Guess it was all for nought as I could not attach it.

Will try the other suggestion you gave. Thanks much.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\inf folder.

The Windows\inf folder is a hidden folder. If you are not set up to view hidden files and folders, you need to open MY COMPUTER, choose Folder Options > View tab, then check Show hidden files and folders.

Locate the srchasst.inf file.

Right click it and select Install.

You'll need your XP CD or the files from the i386 folder.

Okay, to find that file, I went to Start and Search, found it, right-clicked and selected Install, I put in my Reinstallation CD for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, including Service Pack 2. There were three srchasst.inf - one in C:\Documents and settings, but when I tried to install, all I got was GOOD MORNING VIETNAM (tht is what my computer starts up with). Then I tried the one in C:\Windows\inf, and got the same GOOD MORNING VIETNAM. Then tried the C:\i386, and installation started. Not sure what I installed, though. Is this going to delete the America Online stuff?

I am sure someone will get a laugh out of this message :) :) :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
right click the hijackthis log that was created, choose SENDTO > COMPRESSED folder

this will create a zipped file

attach that

The Windows Reinstallation cd may or may not be a Windows disk

Place it in your cd rom and open MY COMPUTER, right click the drive and choose EXPLORE

is there a folder called i386 ON THE CD?

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

right click the hijackthis log that was created, choose SENDTO > COMPRESSED folder

this will create a zipped file

attach that

The Windows Reinstallation cd may or may not be a Windows disk

Place it in your cd rom and open MY COMPUTER, right click the drive and choose EXPLORE

is there a folder called i386 ON THE CD?

I right-clicked the Hijack log and sent to Compressed folder, but I cannot find the zip file. :tazz: :)

I put in the CD (it is by Dell - a Dimension 4700). Anyway, there is a folder named i386 on it.

:)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i'd say do a search for *.zip, but that would be kind of pointless., wouldn't it?

Will worry about that in a moment

start > run
c:\windows\inf
<enter>

IN the window that opens, scroll down to srchasst.inf file, right click choose install

It should ask you for the cd, or at the very least start installing some files.

(I know we kind of did this, but I want to make sure we hit only one file this time)

report back

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

i'd say do a search for *.zip, but that would be kind of pointless., wouldn't it?

Will worry about that in a moment

start > run
c:\windows\inf
<enter>

IN the window that opens, scroll down to srchasst.inf file, right click choose install

It should ask you for the cd, or at the very least start installing some files.

(I know we kind of did this, but I want to make sure we hit only one file this time)

report back

I did do a search for *.zip and there were a bunch of items, but only one to do with HijackThis - the one I had made: 2-23-06 hijackthis.zip I clicked on that and it took me to the hijack log in Notepad, the one I could not attach. There was also a srchasst.info which also took me to a log in Notepad.

I ran c:windows\inf and scrolled down to the srchasst.inf file. When I right-clicked, it did ask for the CD. When I inserted it and clicked okay, in the Copy
Files From box was C:\windows\inf\i386. I clicked okay again, and all I would get is my Robin Williams Good Morning Vietnam. The only other choice in Copy Files From was Drive A. Then there is the browse button. Am I supposed to browse to another area? :) :) :tazz: :)