Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Windows OSs?

• Please log in to reply

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I recently had my harddrive replaced on my laptop. When I got it back I had to reinstall everything naturally, but there seemed to be some kind of Windows already on it, '98 it said although it only showed me a black screen. Now, whenever I started it up, it asks me to choose between Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows. Are there two Windows on my laptop? Is this taking up space? If so, how can I remove it to just have XP?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gwhoosh

Start the Windows operating system that you want to keep.

To determine the Windows folder that you want to keep...click Start then Run and type %windir%...then click "OK". Remember the folder that is opened. For example, the folder may be C:\Windows.

Note This is your "working" Windows folder. Do not delete or remove this folder from the partition.

In Windows Explorer, find the Windows folder that you want to remove.

Important Make sure that this folder is NOT the folder that you identified as your "working" Windows folder in the above step.

Right click the Windows folder that you want to remove, and then click "Delete".
Click "Yes" to confirm the deletion of the folder.
Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. The "Startup and Recovery" dialog box appears.
Under System startup, click Edit to modify the Boot.ini file.

The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad and looks similar to the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition"
/fastdetect

On the File menu in Notepad, click Save As, and then save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file that is named Boot.old.
On the File menu, click Exit to close the backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, under System startup, click Edit to reopen the Boot.ini file.
In the [boot loader] section of the Boot.ini file, identify and then delete the line of text for the Windows operating system that you want to remove. For example, if the Windows folder that you removed in earlier was for the Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition operating system, remove the following line of text from the Boot.ini file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition"
/fastdetect

On the "File" menu, click "Save" to save your changes to the Boot.ini file.
On the "File" menu, click "Exit" to close the Boot.ini file.
Click "Ok" to close the "Startup and Recovery" dialog box.
Restart your computer.

If you have questions or would like help with this, post back.

wannabe1

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi Wannabe,

In Windows Explorer, find the Windows folder that you want to remove.

Where is this folder? I only see one WINDOWS folder under the partition and it's my "working" Windows folder.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like Windows 98 is not actually installed on the machine, but there are sill references to it in the boot.ini.

Would you post me a copy of the boot.ini please...

Follow the instructions for saving the boot.ini in my first post, right click in the text and choose "Select All", right click again and choose "Copy", then "Paste" it into a reply here.

We may get through this by simply editing the boot.ini file.

wannabe1

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Here it is:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
gwhoosh...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. The "Startup and Recovery" dialog box appears.
Under System startup, click Edit to modify the Boot.ini file.

The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad. On the File menu in Notepad, click "Save As", and then save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file that is named "Boot.old". In the File menu, click Exit to close the backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, under "System startup", click "Edit" to reopen the Boot.ini file.
In the [boot loader] section of the Boot.ini file, identify and then delete the following line of text:

On the "File" menu, click "Save" to save your changes to the Boot.ini file.
On the "File" menu, click "Exit" to close the Boot.ini file.
Click "Ok" to close the "Startup and Recovery" dialog box.
Restart your computer.

Better?

wannabe1

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Much better :tazz: It goes straight to loading XP. Thanks so much!! :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :tazz:

wannabe1