Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp won't update

• Please log in to reply

nogard

nogard

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I moved this comuter into another room, and I reintalled XP, it does not have a CD version of it, you have to go threw all programs, then into system restore, I did this and it is new just like when we bought it. However I have seen some changes, like no Firewall. I went to windows up date, and after it scans my computer, it then giver the option Express, or Custom, no mater which one I choose, it frezzes up, and the times it done not frezze, I get an error, saying microsoft update can not diplay, or preform the request......something or another. How do I get it to update, and where is my windows firewall?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Windows firewall is part of SP2 which is why you won't see it, yet

Install this and then go back to windows update

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I will try that and......and post an update.........lol.....punny! "Update"

ok will try thanks

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I am connected at 44.0 kbps, but can only download at 632 bytes a second, this installer is going to take a while.....why is it downloading so slow.....its a new clean install of the OS, with nothing added to the computer accept the dialup number to connect. The only thing running is the download........

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this when you get a chance

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok this is what I get when I click the link:

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

VirtuaNews Message
You do not have permission to do this action. If you think you should do, please contact the webmaster.

And I am down loading updates, 4 at a time, connected at 44.00 Kbps, downloading at 634 bytes/sec. Max, These are the first 4 I have tried to download. Estimated download time 4-hours and 27 Minutes it says. 2.60 MB

Is it possible to download the update files on another computer, then burn them to disk, and take them to this other PC and install them?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That would work

Try running winsockfix

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
what did you mean by, or referring to when you said:

That would work

The winstock thingy is downloading on the messed up computer, I can posting here from my notebook......so should I run this winstock thingy, after it downloads? Its going to take a while to download of it downloads. The updates I was downloading timed out......dialup connection was not responding, then computer froze up, had to reboot, now downloading the winstock thingy.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Burning it to disc then running it on this computer, same with the Tune Up Trial as it is 9MB

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I ran the winstock fix on the desktop, and the apps seem to load faster, and I have a download time of 2.7 kbps sec. now.....much faster......maybe I can get some updated downloaded and installed now. Still connected at 44.00 Kbps sec, download should be 4.4 kb, but I can handel the 2.7.....much fastes than......634 bytes sec.

Edited by nogard, 23 February 2006 - 03:55 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can download all the xp updates in autopatcher xp

http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=432780

Or, at least, all those available through the last packaing---I don't think it will include Tuesday's updates

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I got SP2 downloaded and installed, it took for ever on this dialup, now I have yet more diffrent proplems.

I have a firewall but can't ceck any box, to turn on or off, and I get this message everytime I try to go to firewall setting.

Firewall setting cannot be displayed, associated service not running, Do you want to start (ICS) services?

After clicking yes, I get into the firewall settings, but I can not check the box's, they are both grayed out. I can't turn it on the turned off box is checked but it is grayed out as well.

Next proplem.....this is the bad one.

after I connect to the internet, at 44.00 kbps, I go to load IE, nothing in screen.......no 404 file not found nothing....just says page cannot be displayed. I tried serveral web sites all the same. I pinged sever of these web site.....threw command prompt....4 packets sent 4 recived....none lost. So this shows I an connected right? why does IE not work?........also I tried to go back to windows update, it won't load, after about 10 minutes it times out.......not responding. So I now have SP2 .and connect to the internet.......but can't use it......

I also got this error.......after the IE closed when it was not responding........

nwiz.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
nwiz.exe is a part of NVidia's Nview features installable alongside it's graphics hardware products. This application will give the user access to additional features which allow the configuration of up to 32 monitors on a host, or to expand the desktop across many monitors. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference.

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up to look for nwiz, remove any ticks, click apply and reboot

Run winsockfix again

Is a third party firewall disabled, or the SP2 one

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Is a third party firewall disabled, or the SP2 one

I dont't have a 3rd party one....(its SP2 Firewall)...I do have a router though..but I am using dialup on this computer.and the router dose not have internet........I unplugged the Cat5 from the computer stil the same probs.......

The winsockfix did not fix the problem this time..........can connect but no internet! nothing in IE..no updates.....no e-mail.....nothing, but I can ping any server and get a responce.

I don't know what to do?........why did format and reinstall cause so many problems for me.......I have done it dozens of time on other computers and never had a problem........this all happened after I reintalled windows after a format......this computer did not come with a restore or XP disk.......its all in All program/Hewlett-Packard/hp pavion pc tools/hp pc system recovery.

This is the first time I have had to restore using this configuration........is it something I did?.......did SP2 make it worse.......am I missing something.......

Sorry...I am venting.........How do I fix this computer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if removing SP2 helps