Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp won't update

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Since you re-installed, what else have you loaded, autopatcher etc

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you have a go with these

From command prompt (cmd) run these commands pressing "Enter" after each one.

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll (Some may not have this one)
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
exit

Try to update.

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have installed nothing......all I have done is type in a number to dial out on, and user name and password........I was waiting to see if SP2 was part of the problem....before I loaded autoXp thingy....But I guess not cause I still have the same problem connecting.......you know the funny thing is I had no problem wth the modem until I started the (WindowsInstaller-KB893802 - V2 - x86) It was when this was down loading that I started to have proplems with the modem.....it down loaded only at 634 bytes/sec even though I was connected at 40.0 kbps.....However I have a clean install now, and that is gone, as with any updates I managed to get downloaded before.

So to answer your question.......I have not installed anything since the new install.

I will try those comands..and post back the results.......it will be a few hours before I can get to that....mondays are full for me.......It will be later tonight that I try those things out.....

could it be Modem..itself.......?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It would be worth checking for updated drivers and firmware for the modem, download and install them before loading the rest

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I have tried all of these........

regsvr32 urlmon.dll Sucessful
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll Sucessful
regsvr32 msjava.dll (Some may not have this one) Have Sucessful
regsvr32 mshtml.dll Sucessful
regsvr32 browseui.dll Sucessful

in the dos-prompt......not tried to update yet.........I am going to look for updated modem drivers first.........

it is a (Lucent Win Modem)

Device ID: PCI\ven-11c1&DEV-044E&SUBSYS-044E123&REV-02\3&61AAA01&1&50

Modem INF: oem42.inf

Edited by nogard, 28 February 2006 - 01:32 AM.

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I guess some thing about those dos commands did something........I can surf the web, load web pages, and such........but if I try to update it frezes....just like before...I am posting this from the computer with the problem.

I have not tried the modem drivers yet........as the internet is working even though the updates are not

I went to updates, and it said I needed to download and install, and run the new windows installer........it downloaded, installed....then it said registering.it got to 100% then it forze up.......

ctrl-alt-del..would not launch......and after several time of trying to (END NOW) I was going to restart........I went to star/shutdown and clicked restart nothing happened....two more time I tried this.nothing.....then I held the power buttom until it shut down......and pryaed that when I rebooted I still could surf the web.......

So now I am back to square one..the reason this post was made........windows won't update..it frezes up when I try.

So now what?

Edited by nogard, 28 February 2006 - 02:41 AM.

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
dial-up hang every now and then........but it works.most of the time...I have seen a few times where it has hung.then loaded the page.

hang up it did..........it seem to be ok for abot 10 minutes before it frezes up...I am posting this update from the notebook computer once again.........I will look for you replies tommrow and await further...info......to try and fix the problem, you help is greatly apricated.....

Edited by nogard, 28 February 2006 - 03:01 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can load the updates from autopatcher while the main problem is sorted out

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yeah I will do that today.........and post back to let you know how it went

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I instaloled and ran the Autopatcher XP..and after the reboot, as desktop was loading I got this error

(LSA Shell (Export Version) encountered a problem and needs to close.)

I have posted a picture of all the deatails it showed, the link below it to the picture.

Posted Image

Advertisements

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have not tried to update windows futher than the autopatcher I have....I am waiting to see if this error could be part of the problem this computer is having........After you respond I will try the windows update, to get the most resent fix's........and post a fallow up on weather it lets me update or not.

I internet runs but real slow with a good connection of 44.00 kbps.......

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
this computer when we bought it did not come with a XP CD, it did not come with any CD's, all the factory setting and back up OS are on the D:/Recovery partion. We only got manuals....and end user Liecenes papers.

The desktop with the problems is a HP........I have a HP notebook, that came with a hp nookbook (Operating System CD Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how it reacts, it may use the recovery partition

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I ran sfc /scannow and a screen came up and a blue bar, went all the way to the right (Done)....the program closed........nothing else happened....So I guess ithas all the right stuff, it didn't ask for no CD, or say it installed anything..it just ran then went away.

I can't tell any difference than the way it has been running......internet still slow but working .......I am going to try to update again, and see if it times out again.......I will post a fallow up after I try.

updates still freze up the dialup.............. internet runs sometimes....sometimes it don't........called ISP they say it not there proplem everything is configured correctly......they have no clue why it frezes the dial-up during update, or while its connected.....we did a ping and it came back exllent.......its something to do with IE, or XP they say....they have never heard of this problem before.......I have tried 3 different phone boxes, and 5 diffrent phone cords....and two diffrent phone lines........all have the same symptoms........so its not a phone line, or ISP problem.

Edited by nogard, 02 March 2006 - 01:15 AM.