Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GDDR3 OR DDR3

• Please log in to reply

UNC

UNC

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi. I just wanted to know which type of memory for a video card is better.

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
GDDR3 is best but you can't really chose, they come built into the gfx card. but it is much more expensive so get a GDDR3 with 256Mb. DDR3 is simply GDDR3 with lower frequency and high temperature, watt usage

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Nice explination Hammm

If you post the specs of your comptuer we can help you choose the right card that would give you the best preformance for a budget you provide :tazz:

UNC

UNC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Nice explination Hammm

If you post the specs of your comptuer we can help you choose the right card that would give you the best preformance for a budget you provide :tazz:

Ok thanks. I have an hp media center pc m7334n. It's on a special at best buy right now. I got a better deal on it about 2 months ago, but anyway it's got a 3800 + amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor, 1gb PC3200 DDR SDRAM, 250GB SATA hard drive (7200 rpm), currently a radeon x200, a 300 watt Bestec power supply with this written on it:

Input: 100-127V-7A, 200-240V-4A 50/60Hz

Output: 300 watt max

+12V / 19A -12V/0.8A

+5V/30A 5VSB/2A
+5V & 3.3V = 180W max
+5V & +12V = 288W max.

Im looking to buy one of these monitors: http://www.newegg.co...&SubCategory=20

but im not sure if they will support games like cod2, css, or hl2, because they are widescreen monitors. I will gladly accept any suggestions for any other monitors. Ok now can you help me with choosing my video card. I do not know if a new power supply is compatible with my motherboard. It is an amd motherboard. Also i need a power supply that supports +12 / 20A or more ( that's what it says on tigerdirect anyway). So now please please help me, because i have no idea what to do. Im scared that i will screw up in some way. Im scared that my video card wont be compatible with my motherboard ( although it has a pci-e), or that my power supply wont be compatible, etc...

UNC

UNC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
....please help me. I know you can.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
none of the games will work mate, you've got an intergrated gfx. get a card to suit your bugdet. if it's low then get the 6800GS or X800GTO, just be aware the GTO doesn't have Shader Model 3 and niether can take COD2 at full settings. if you can, splash the cash for the X1800XTs or even the X1900XTs or XTXs. just be aware they sound like a hairdryer. Geforce 7800GTXs sound much more quiet but not as powerful

UNC

UNC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

none of the games will work mate, you've got an intergrated gfx. get a card to suit your bugdet. if it's low then get the 6800GS or X800GTO, just be aware the GTO doesn't have Shader Model 3 and niether can take COD2 at full settings. if you can, splash the cash for the X1800XTs or even the X1900XTs or XTXs. just be aware they sound like a hairdryer. Geforce 7800GTXs sound much more quiet but not as powerful

i know my integrated card can't handle cod2, but im looking for a card thats up to $300. I way looking at the evga geforce 7800 gt by the way, but i dont know what psu to buy, and if a widescreen monitor can play those games.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
look at XFX, they give a much better deal than others. They pack FarCry and and lot of goodies with gfx card while keeping the price down and factory overclocking, often more than BFG. BFGs lifetime warranty will only be needed should you OC a lot so look at XFXs offerings