Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot change desktop background.

• Please log in to reply

terjod

terjod

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I cannot change the background on my desktop. I recently had one of those "You have spyware, click here to get rid of it" screens on there... I DID NOT click it. :tazz:

I don't know really anything about my actual computer, other than I use Windows XP Home Edition.

Here are the steps I have taken so far to try and remove whatever is causing this:

1. Tried to change background, but it seems the scroll bar is frozen. I cannot click on a "pic name" to set a picture as my background. I also notices that during startup and shutdown, my old picture is there, under the "new" white and blue screen. (if that makes sense)

2. I did a windows update.

3. Scanned with McAffee antivirus (my current virus scanner)

4. Scanned with Ad-Aware SE (or LavaSoft)

5. used Trend Micro Housecall (the online scanner)

6. Restarted my computer.

I am unsure of what steps to take next.

Thanks so much to any who have some advice!

Advertisements

the_gh0st

the_gh0st

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi! Welcome to Geekstogo!

There is a WONDERFUL thing called System Restore. It is the salvation of Windows. What you need to do is select the nearest restore point to when your problem started by going Start > All Programs > Accesories > System Tools > System Restore.

The wizard after that is very self-explanitory.

Please post an answer...tell us if this solved your problem or not. Thanks!

terjod

terjod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
If I restore to a previous point, will I loose updates I have made to programs since that date? I need to know before I do this so I can back up files that have since been created on my computer... I don't wanna loose them.
:tazz:
Thanks for helping (the technologically illiterate part of) me!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click System Restore

On the Welcome to System Restore page, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" (it should be selected by default), and then click "Next"

You will loose a few Windows Updates, but YOUR data will be fine. Even files created after the date of the restore point will be ok. Go back to just before the problem began and once it is restored...

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 February 2006 - 12:28 AM.