Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Michael101

Michael101

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
i have a laptop whic is an acer travelmate 800 series and was wondering if i could upgrade the parts just the CPU and the RAM and the hard drive

it is an Intel Pentium M 1.6Ghz
it has 256 mg of ram
and a 40 gig hard drive :tazz:

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i know for sure th HDD can be upgraded. look at the 5K100 by Hitachi. It gives you decent preformance with out wasting money on the 7K100 which gives similar preformance when benched marked but takes only .85Watts so the 5K100 is good. it's 100gigs which is good enough, you could look at the 80gig ones but Hitachi make the best laptop HDD, make sure it says 2.5in HDD and not 3.5in. RAM you can, it's SODIMM RAM but i don't know much about them. CPU, looks like you're stuck unless you happen to be an expert in cutting and refitting metal as most CPUs are covered by lots of other stuff which you don't want to mess with

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Look for the memory slot in your Laptop- usually a panel you can remove with a screw (panel is about the size of an index card)

The harddrive should look like a modular drive almost except another screw or two might be in place here

Contact the manufactor of your computer to see what is the max ram and hd size you can put in here that it will read :tazz:

Michael101

Michael101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
how much is it to upgrade the HD to 80 and the RAM to 1gig oh and can i also upgrade my video card it is a Radeon 900 mobility 64 mg

Edited by Michael101, 23 February 2006 - 04:42 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you cannpt upgrade your video

the ram can be upgraded by purchasing pc2100 sodimms...you likely have 1 256mb sodimm in place, you have two slots. so you can install one more sodimm stick to increase ram, or remove the one that is in there and add two.

your harddrive may or may not be upgradeable. The ACER drive is mounted in a special chassis...I am not sure it can be removed from that chassis, meaning any upgrade would have to come from ACER

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i'm pretty sure most HDD can be replaced, just open it up and take a peek, the CPU and gfx card is pratically bolted into place so you'll have a hard time getting it out