Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no programs associated

• Please log in to reply

scrafi

scrafi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
help please
have to admit that i'm really crap with computers....
recently i was trying to download winamp and/or some other softwares so that i could run .wmv files on my computer and somehow since then i have really big problems with my pc. Every time i restart it, i get 2 error messages, one saying that Adobe Gamma loader.exe file has no associations, please click on Folder Options and make an association, and the other one w32x86/E_srcvo3.exe has no associations too.
However, the problem is much bigger than this, most of the application icons on desktop cannot access the softwares, so for instance when i click on the internet explorer icon, i receive a message saying: "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel"

:tazz:

has anyone got a clue what this could be or shall i just chuck it out of the window?
cheers from cold and rainy london

Advertisements

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi scrafi,

This is pretty strange and I'd recommend doing a full virus scan first.
If this doesn't yield any results I think you should try 2 things. Firstly go to start>run and type msconfig then hit enter. Go to the start up tab and uncheck these 2 files (w32x86/E_srcvo3.exe and adobe Gamma loader) if they appear (adobe gamma loader should amost definitely be there) then click apply and ok and you will get a message about changes not taking effect until you restart. So restart.

This should get rid of the message when you start (and may help the desktop shortcuts issue as well). If you are still getting the desktop problem, then make sure you can still access the programs from Start> programs>... If you can then delete the shortcuts and recreate them by going to start> programs> application name and right click create shortcut or send to desktop (depending on OS).

As for .wmvs the best thing to use wouldbe windows media playet which you can download from Microsofts website.

Hope this helps

Paddy

GreenJacket79

GreenJacket79

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have just had the same problem, but found that this sorted things out:

EXE File Association Fix for Windows XP

This download restores the default File Association for EXE files. Download the REG file here http://www.kellys-ko.../xp_exe_fix.reghttp://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_exe_fix.reg and save it to your hard drive. Double click the file you just saved and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking the file and selecting Edit.

I was able to open .reg despite being ubable to run .exe's, although I have read of others not being able even to do that.

Good luck, and I hope this works - I had to register to give you this info!

Alexander

millbraeman

millbraeman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
paddyt -- you are a GOD!

I was just about to reinstall from the recovery cds, but thought I'd do a google on the error message. I was experiencing the same problem...couldn't start any programs from either the task bar or programs menu, and only a couple of the usual icons were appearing in the QuickLaunch area (next to the clock). Another symptom was that if I clicked on a program, the entire desktop UI would do a quick refresh...very strange.

I caught a virus that I think caused this, used Norton to fix that, but the problem remained. I downloaded the reg file paddyt pointed to, imported it, rebooted and VOILA! PRESTO! ETC... the problem was fixed.

I'm so glad I didn't have to spend the rest of the day rebuilding my system that I just don't know how to thank you enough!

cheers,
--millbraeman

millbraeman

millbraeman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry GreenJacket...this thanks was meant for you...got the replies mixed up.

cheers,
--millbraeman