Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Spybot keeps getting zapped

• Please log in to reply

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I went to bring up Spybot S&D this morning, and when the window for it tries to go up it gets zapped by some type of pop-up stopper. :D

This is the first time this has happened. My other software programs don't do this.

Can you help? <_< Just to let you know, I had to remove a couple infections yesterday on this PC. I don't know if that had to do anything with it or not.

Thanks

Edited by Laptop Boy, 16 April 2004 - 07:43 AM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

There is a  variant of the Coolwebsearch trojan spreading that closes several anti-spyware apps when you try to open them.
If this is happening to you, download PepiMK's CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller removal tool first and run it. After it does its job, CWShredder and HijackThis will run properly (as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several anti-spyware forums).

Link: http://www.safer-net...es/delcwssk.zip

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
OK, I am bringing this thread back to life, because I still have the same problem with bringing up my Spybot on my brother's PC.

I downloaded the CW shredder and it found nothing. :D

What else can I do? I have uninstalled Spybot and reinstalled it with no luck.

One question-With Spyware Blaster running, do I still need Spybot anyway? <_<

Edited by Laptop Boy, 08 May 2004 - 06:27 PM.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Keep spybot and ad-aware and do weekly scans to make sure no junkware got past spywareblaster. Admin's link is not for cwshredder, it is a program specifically for your problem. Did you try it?

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Whatever it is, I tried it. You guys have checked the Highjack log for his machine a few days ago and gave it a thiumbs up.

I have gone into the registry and found stuff that looked unfamiliar from the last time I was in there.

Just a note: That pc is running very well, besides the fact that Spybot doesn't come up. It just ticks me off I can't do a scan with it (Spybot), now.

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Keep spybot and ad-aware and do weekly scans to make sure no junkware got past spywareblaster. Admin's link is not for cwshredder, it is a program specifically for your problem. Did you try it?

OK I tried running the admin's sugggested program and it said it didn't find the nasty on my system. (CoolWebSearch.smartkiller).

What can i do now to get my Spybot up and running again? <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried Ad-aware?
http://www.geekstogo...ction=show&id=5

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yes, I have had the adaware 6 installed for a while now. I run it almost every day and get rid of what it picks up.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
And that runs fine? If you have Spyware Blaster installed and run Ad-aware ocassionally you're very well protected.

Spybot is currently testing a beta version, maybe you accidentally downloaded it? In any case, I'd just uninstall it, and if you so inclined you can try installing again at a later date.

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanks admin, I'll uninstall and wait for the newer version. <_<