Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Driver?!?!

• Please log in to reply

HelpNeeded911

HelpNeeded911

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I am on the verge of tears right now because my brand new laptop (just arrived on Monday) is already having problems. I downloaded the programs listed within the "Start Here" page forum here on GeekstoGo. (This page: http://www.geekstogo...Log-t2852.html) I did not download CleanUp! however. To make a long story short, my d: drive seems to be missing. I placed software in the drive, and the program did not load. So I went to My Computer to manually click on the d: drive... yet there was no d: drive listed. I have no idea what to do... I am using a Dell XPS M140 laptop, by the way. I tried going to the Control Panel to the "Add Hardware" setting. However, when I chose the "_NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A" item from the "installed hardware" list, I continually received the following message: Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41) Additionally, if I place CD software within the drive, the light on external portion on the driver does light up and the laptop makes a noise as if it is reading the program...yet, nothing further happens. Please...please...please...any help would be GREATLY GREATLY GREATLY APPRECIATED! It took me forever to even get this laptop...and that was a blessing in itself...and now this laptop is messing up.. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Code 41
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Recommended resolution

A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This error occurs when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

I would not try too hard with this because it is a new machine, do not open the case, take it back and let them deal with it

HelpNeeded911

HelpNeeded911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Keith, Keith, Keith, thank you!!!! I certainly did not expect such a fast response! I went to Dell's website and Thank God! ...because they had driver downloads available there. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! *big hug* You're the best!! :tazz: :) :) :) :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know you have resolved this