Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java Virtual Machine is driving me nuts!

• Please log in to reply

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi,

Im running XP SP1.

Im trying to install Oracle v9i on my pc.

I keep getting this eror message when i click on the auto.exe to install the software

"Java Virtual Machine Launcher. Could not find the main class: program will now exit" :)

I have run my spyware software and deleted what they pciked up...but it didnt help me.

I have uninstalled Java Sun and MS Java and reinstalled but still the same problem.

This has been going on for 3 weeks. :)

Can anyone help me please.

Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://java-virtual-...t/download.html try that....the virtual machine is different than the normal java runtime environment

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply....but i have already tried that

But let me get this straight.....

Microsoft have their own Java Virtual machine?

and Sun have their own Java Virtual?

Which one then is the best to use? Should i untick MS Java Machine in advanced options in Internet Explorer? and just use the SUN virtual machine? :tazz:

Edited by doire, 23 February 2006 - 08:31 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....it depends on the site you're looking at...some require the ms VM some require the sun VM...but they're virtually the same...

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I have reinstalled both Sun and MS Virtual machine but i still get the same error message. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
pretty sure that message is from the java virtual machine that it cannot find the proper class in the oracle installation

Any chance you have a bad oracle setup or disk?

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi im actaully downloading it from a network.

I tried the same procedure on another machine which was successful.....but on the first machine i still get an error message

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that does not mean that the download was not corrupted....did you download it, or are you installing from a network share?

Do you have the same permission on each machine with the same mapped drives?

I could be completely wrong on this since what I know of oracle you could fit in a thimble

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
The Oracle software is on a shared drive on a network.

I have installed it on one machine without any problems.

When i tried a second machine i got the erroe message which i have posted.

Would running sfc /scannow help me in anyway?

One probelm with doinf this though is that the machine in question has SP1 on it and i havent got the disk for that actual machine as the OS is deployed through the network also.

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Ive posted a hijack-this log in the malware section of this forum if it may help

My Webpage

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Geez, you want to know how to tick someone off? Bump your own thread. Drives people nuts. The people in malware are extremely busy and bumping a thread is like saying "Hey, my stuff is more important than everyone elses!"

It's rude

---------------------------------

Let's back up here...you have a lot of custom stuff there. This is a corporation computer? You are...who? Why is this not going to your IT staff? Are you supposed to be installing oracle? Your IE is way out of date. The fact that you are using sp1 seems to indicate the IT staff do not want it updated to sp2, maybe because of program incompatibility.

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Geez, you want to know how to tick someone off? Bump your own thread. Drives people nuts. The people in malware are extremely busy and bumping a thread is like saying "Hey, my stuff is more important than everyone elses!"

It's rude

---------------------------------

Let's back up here...you have a lot of custom stuff there. This is a corporation computer? You are...who? Why is this not going to your IT staff? Are you supposed to be installing oracle? Your IE is way out of date. The fact that you are using sp1 seems to indicate the IT staff do not want it updated to sp2, maybe because of program incompatibility.

Opps sorry Gerry! My impatience got the better of me. :tazz:

The pc that has Oracle on it also has SP1 so i dont think this could be the issue?

Im am the I.T. staff..........this is a problem that has been bugging me for a while now and as a result the user cant use Oracle.

I have searched high and low on the internet for a solution and have stumbled upon your website hoping for a cure.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES button

What is the CLASS PATH under SYSTEM VARIABLES?

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi Gerry,
I says

C:ProgramFiles\Documentum\dctm.jar:C\ProgramFiles\Docum.......

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
By the way Gerry....Documentum is a software program they use in this building.....I think its a drawing tool for Engineers