Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply

bbruce

bbruce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I get almost a page full of the files you would expect, eg autoexec.bat.
Shall I get the full list?

Advertisements

bbruce

bbruce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I bought a USB case for laptop harddrives. Ebay bargain.
Now I can read everything on the harddrive.
Got all my photos and music - brilliant. Many thanks everyone.
Is there anything I can do to the files to stop my original problem when I put the harddrive back in the Tosh?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
You're welcome :tazz:

Preventing the problem from returning depends on what the original problem was.

If it is a mechanical problem, you'll soon find that out when you go to completely reinstall your OS. You'll know it is that, if you continue experiencing the problem even after a fresh install.

If everything is fine after doing a fresh reinstall of your operating system, then it was corruption that caused your problem. To prevent it, make sure you don't bump or shake your laptop when using it, defragment it and use scandisk or chkdsk on it regularly, and make sure you don't let your laptop overheat.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 12 March 2006 - 06:38 PM.

bbruce

bbruce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I documented my original problem and my suspicions.
I now know it wasn't a virus so must have been caused by the Microsoft hotfixes. If I could remove them while the drive is a slave on my main computer, I wouldn't need to reformat and reinstall.

I'd like to correct
"STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
Sys32\ntdll.dll
The dynamic link library cannot be found in the specified path
Default load path"
by getting ntdll.dll from another W2000 computer and putting it in Sys32 while the drive is still a slave - is that worth a go or will the registry smell a rat?

The laptop was surprisingly clean inside.
I love the USB case for laptop harddrives - it comes in a soft case and with installation disk & cable. It can put old laptop harddrives to good use by giving you a high capacity portable drive. It was cheap enough at £7 inc postage - I'd recommend it to anyone.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts

by getting ntdll.dll from another W2000 computer and putting it in Sys32 while the drive is still a slave - is that worth a go or will the registry smell a rat?

It's worth a shot, but I have a feeling there's more to it than that...

bbruce

bbruce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'll have a go tonight. If it fails I'll reformat.
At least I've got what I want thanks to this forum. :tazz: