Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP and DIY system

• Please log in to reply

Aphesis

Aphesis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
We are trying to load XP home edition (we got it oem) on a completely new system. We booted it with the recommended disc from the hard drive manufactuer (Maxtor), but are still getting errors when we copy the files from the XP boot disk- 17 different files will not copy. Since there is no system installed yet, we can't download anything to the system without a disk-- what should we do??? Thanks!

Advertisements

Aphesis

Aphesis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
*update*

I took out the hard drive and put it in my "working" computer and loaded up Windows XP Home with no problems. Problem now is when I took out the hard drive and put it back in new computer I am getting an endless reboot as follows...

"We apologize for the incovenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally."

It then gives the following choices...

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

No matter what choice I choose after a few seconds (before Windows gets a chance to load) the system reboots and I get the screen again.

I have tried hitting F8 to go into Safe Mode outside of the reboot loop screen but all it does is send me to a "Boot Menu" with a choice of selection of Boot First device... Floppy, HDD-0, CDROM, or LAN... No mention of a Safe Mode.

I have tried putting the HD back into my "working" computer and everything worked out fine, got into windows and all. I know this is a hardware issue, but I have pulled everything out shy of the motherboard itself and put it in my "working" computer and tested everything out and they work fine.

I have the following in the new computer.

Aphesis

Aphesis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
AMD Sempron 2400 CPU
MSI K7N2 motherboard
AIT Radeon 9500 graphics card
Maxtor 160GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/133
Sony DVD-ROM