Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Undeletable shortcuts after removing programs; access denied

• Please log in to reply

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Downloaded it and tried it... Delete error - access denied. Tried again as administrator... Delete error - access denied...

I really appreciate everyone's help! I hope we can figure out what the heck is going on... ; )

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hmm...I have a hunch...

download tweakui from here
http://download.micr...wertoySetup.exe

install, load, go to REPAIR section and pick rebuild icons.

Reboot the computer and then try to delete the icons that are giving you problems.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 24 February 2006 - 12:05 PM.

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I wish your hunch had worked! I did as you suggested, still same error message...

Ugh! :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I have another hunch: take some paint, a paint brush, and paint over the icons right on the monitor. :tazz:

Nah...you wouldn't wanna do that. Give Eraser a try: http://www.snapfiles...ser/eraser.html

After you install it, right click on the icons and select erase.

I have a feeling it won't work, but it can't hurt to try. :) And if it doesn't work, let me know the error message it gives.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 24 February 2006 - 01:05 PM.

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Downloaded, rebooted, tried to erase:

Eraser report said: Task completed. All data could not be erased.

In the Failures box it lists the icon name and then says access denied...

So, should I use acrylic paint or watercolors? That sounds like the best idea yet! (I am quite an artist, you know...).

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I am surpised my one did not work
I will keep on thinking. Have you opened the desktop folder and tried to delete them?

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yep ~ I've tried deleting them through Explore and in the folders as the administrator and as my current user. The icons are listed on the desktop under "all users" and my current user but not on the administrator desktop. All of these icons were linked to programs I had deleted through control panel, add/remove, and after the programs were deleted, the icons remained.

Thanks for you continued help. They don't seem to be posing a problem, but it bugs the heck out of me that I can't remove them from my desktop!

Shari

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I think I know a solution, but it may be a bit complicated.

You said the programs are in the All User folder. Assuming that one of the users on your computer has made it to where their files are private, it is possible this setting is preventing you from deleting those icons, since they are in the All User's folder. These icons could be considered part of that user's files, and thus made private and are protected from deletion. Even if this is not the case, you can still continue, since my potential solution will most likely work.

You can download and build an Ulitmate Boot CD for Windows from http://www.ubcd4win.com. You will need an XP CD to build one.

Whether this works or not, this CD is an excellent diagnostic tool to keep handy.

If you need any instructions on how to build a UBCD, let me know. I can guide you through it. However, they should have instructions on the site explaining it too.

When you make one, you can put it in and restart your computer. When it boots from the CD, you can use the XP explorer tool to navigate to the folder with the icons you want to delete. When using the CD, you have full access to your computer. NO ACCESS DENIED! So...you should be able to delete them with no problems at all.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you want to try via the command prompt?

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I think I'll try via command prompt first, if that's okay... How do I go about it?

Thanks!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What I type in blue is what I want you to type what I type in red is the action I want you to doeg
Enter means press the Enter key
Start>Programs>accesories>command prompt

I hope this opens to C:\documents and settings\shari> (or the user name you logged on with)
C:\documents and settings\shari>cd .. Enter
C:\documents and settings>cd all users enter
c:\documents and settings\all users>cd desktop enter

Can you see the icon names listed
I hope it will be something like Free Credit Report and Score.lnk
If you can see one of the files that we want to delete under all users
c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop>attrib -s -h -r *.lnk enter
c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop>del free credit report and score.lnk enter
Has this got rid of that icon?

Edited by peterm, 24 February 2006 - 09:30 PM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Would you mind if I wrote a batch file for you to run which will execute peterm's instructions automatically?

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thanks Michelle, but I already printed them off and did them...

peterm ~ here's what I got:

After the step that had me type attrib -s -h -r *.lnk - I got a list of the shortcuts on that desktop with the words "access denied" before them. I went ahead with the next step and typed del then the name of the file and got a "could not find" message.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Yes, it said it couldn't find it because it was looking for a file only called "free" instead of the whole shortcut name. I've already written the batch for you to run, but first please do this:

Another batch I would like you to run. Download it from here: Attached File  attriblist.zip   249bytes   85 downloads
Unzip it to your desktop and double-click attriblist.bat
It won't take long and when it's done a notepad will open, please copy that and paste it into your next reply :tazz:

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
That's right ~ it did say it was looking for just the first word of the file. Thanks for helping me see through all of this. Here is what the notebook brought up:

A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Ad-Aware SE Personal.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\American Greetings Scrapbooks & More! 7.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Creative Lettering Image Browser.lnk
C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Delete Invalid File.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\ewido security suite.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Free Credit Report and Score.url
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\hp officejet d series.lnk
C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Kodak EasyShare.lnk
C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 Editor.lnk
C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 Library.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Mozilla Firefox.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Musicmatch JUKEBOX.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Quicken 2006 Deluxe.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\RealArcade.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\Visit Broderbund.url
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\attriblist.zip
A SH C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\desktop.ini
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\KillBox.exe
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\Microsoft Word.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\My eBay Summary.url
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\soon-to-be_skinny_scrappers Soon-To-Be Skinny Scrappers.URL
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\SpywareBlaster.lnk
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\Undeletable shortcuts after removing programs; access denied - Geeks to Go Forums.URL
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\Wells Fargo Home Page.url
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\What I type in blue is what I want you to type what I type in red is the action I want you to doeg.doc
A C:\documents and settings\mom\desktop\Yahoo! Groups mountainsofscraps.url