Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Undeletable shortcuts after removing programs; access denied

• Please log in to reply

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hello shari :)

2 of the files are actually not .lnk files, they are .url which may be part of the reason Killbox produced the error.

Please download shari.zip from here: Attached File  shari.zip   320bytes   52 downloads

Unzip it (please make sure that it is unzipped when you run it).
Reboot into safe mode and logon as Administrator.
go into the unzipped folder and double-click shari.bat
a black window should open and close quickly - this is normal
cross your fingers and reboot into normal mode.. :tazz:

Advertisements

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I did as instructed, and those blasted things are still there! :tazz: :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
tough little so and so

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
What if we try it at the command prompt before windows loads

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I'm game! I tried starting in safemode and selecting DOS prompt and then tried it, but I get the list with "access denied" again. Tried deleting per original instructions and it said "free not found" without the whole file name. Is there a way to do this using the batch file Michele wrote?

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
OMG!!!! You guys are going to freak!!! I figured it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is SO cool, and I'm so excited! Check out this link:

http://support.micro...;308419&sd=tech

Down toward the bottom where it says "set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders" - past the 1-7 list, down to where it says: "important: if you are not joined to a domain and you want to view the Security tab:"

I did steps 1-3 then went up and did steps 1-7. I could then delete with NO PROBLEM!!!!

You folks have been fantastic! THanks for all your help and insite!!! Please let me know if there is anything wrong with the way I did it and if it going to cause me trouble in the future. Man, I'm so excited! This has made my weekend! :tazz: :) :)

Shari

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Hello shari :)

I'm so glad that worked! I knew there was something wrong with the permissions. As an administrator you should have had the correct permissions to remove them already :) That's basically what I wanted you to do when I had you reboot into safe mode and select the security tab and choose full control of the files (on your other topic). I need to tweak my instructions hehe

You should be ok and now that you have taken control back, then no more programs should leave an undeletable icon on your desktop anymore. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Where the article says it applies to XP Professional, did you do this with XP Home

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Keith ~ I have XP Professional so the "everyone" group does not include the anonymous login group.

Thanks again to everyone!!! Especially peterm and Michelle for seeing me through this. I can finally relax and put my mind to work on something else...

You have a great service and your help is appreciated!

Shari

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Well done
Can I come around for a few computer lessons

Advertisements

Shari

Shari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Ha! Yeah, but I'd learn a whole lot more from you than you would from me! :tazz:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something, excellent work (very nice research :)). I bet you're extremely happy now! Even though they were only icons I'm sure it was frustrating not having the control you want over your own computer!

I'm so glad it's resolved :tazz: