Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU Usage Spikes

• Please log in to reply

Discloner

Discloner

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Man seems like I just fixed one problem when another rears it's ugly head. Perhaps its my fault though...so to assure myself its not a case of Computer Hypocondria let me explain what's happening.

I was just perusing the internet listening to a recently downloaded song when I noticed the computer was running abnormally slow. So...I checked my CPU usage, and it was at 100%. I'm not nessisarly privy to complexities of the inner workings of the computer, but I'm assuming this is not normal. Besides that...the only programs I was dabbling in were IE and AIM.

So I paused the song to see if it'd let the CPU usage go down...and it did. Then I resumed it to see if it'd go back up to 100%...and it did. (As you can see here). Determined to see if the problem was momentary or not, I paused WMP and opened Photoshop (partially to screen cap my problem) and noticed the CPU usage was again maxing out when I was doing something as simple as selecting an area of the image (it seriously can't take 100% of my CPU usage to select a TINY part of an image can it?).

After closing everything and waiting a bit to see if the problem went away (which it did) I tried to replacate the problem again, oddly enough to no avail. So I kept on going...as I normally would, and eventually it worked its way back up to 100% again. Because of this delay before actually maxing out...I'm inclined to believe the problem behind this MAY also be responsable for videos freezing/skipping after a short while of watching them.

In WMP the music doesn't suffer from the max out, though the visualization effects do (as does any popup that comes up when I try to change it).

Like I said, I'm not totally sure this is a problem or something that just happens...but to me it doesn't seem like the CPU should be maxing out simply over WMP playing music while I surf the internet...

Any advice/help would be hot.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Lucky you, we ran into this problem several weeks ago and spent the better part of three days trying to figure it out, so let's start from the ultimate fix and work backwards

Download CCleaner from http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html

Install it and run it. UNcheck all of the options EXCEPT for Temporary Files, Delete Index.dat files, and under the System catagory Temporary Files.

Click Analyze.

When it is done analyzing (it could take several minutes since this is your first time using ccleaner), click on Run Cleaner

After it is done deleting the junk files, including index.dat, restart your computer.

After it has restarted, see if the 100% usage still occurs.

In the earlier case, it was a corrupted index.dat

Discloner

Discloner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Seems to be fixed. Thanks! :tazz:

I'll let you know if it resurfaces after a longer period of time, but its working a lot better now.

Discloner

Discloner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Seems to be fixed. Thanks! :tazz:

I'll let you know if it resurfaces after a longer period of time, but its working a lot better now.