Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird URLs I Tidn't Type in Prevent Site Viewing

• Please log in to reply

Shadow Dream Keeper

Shadow Dream Keeper

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
So when I try to get to www.myspace.com it comes up http:///?%20www.myspace.com and I can view some pages such as www1.myspace.com :tazz:
Does anyone know why that is and if I can fix it?
Running XP home and IE 6 Thank you in advance.

-SDK

Advertisements

Dillan

Dillan

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Might be related to Malware. Do you have an Anti-Spyware program? If so, then you should try running a scan just for the heck of it.

Shadow Dream Keeper

Shadow Dream Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I was told it might me malware and when I ran my anti-spyware programs they didn't turn up anything.

Dillan

Dillan

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hmm, what program do you use?

Shadow Dream Keeper

Shadow Dream Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Norton and AdAware

Dillan

Dillan

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hmm, well I dont really know whats wrong with your browser than. Sorry I wasnt much help, if I find out more about it I'll be sure to PM you or reply in this thread.

Shadow Dream Keeper

Shadow Dream Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well thank you for your help.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcoem to geekstogo,
this could still be malware related as there are much more powerful tools out there other then Adware and Norton. Please go to the malwre forum to get furthur help. Then if you're still experiencing any problems please report back to this topic.

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 February 2006 - 10:04 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

AdAware

adaware is not an antimalware program..it's anti adware...as the name suggests....so it basically just cleans things that put ads on your computer...just for future reference

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
when you type http://www.myspace.com do you get the same thing? it may not seem like a big deal just want to check it,

Advertisements

Zoey Z

Zoey Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
What type of internet connection do u have? If you have a high-speed internet,boot to safe mode with networking [F8 during boot], and try it from there. If it doesn't happen there, it's 3rd party - possible malware/spyware.

Shadow Dream Keeper

Shadow Dream Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay so I downloaded and ran all of them except for the one that said don't run it if you have XP 64 bit edition or if you just don't know. I don't know. Therefore I chose to forego the running of said program. It still does it and no clicking on the link provided up there doesn't work.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Post a HijackThis log in the Malware Forum. Sometimes the scans are not enough, and you need an expert to get rid of the infection(s). If the problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we can continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, it can take 3-5 days for a response, since the malware forum is very busy. There is a Waiting Room where you can post a link to your topic in the malware forum if you haven't received a response after 3 days.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 27 February 2006 - 04:16 PM.

Shadow Dream Keeper

Shadow Dream Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've already posted one there and when I went looking for it I couldn't find it so I posted this thread.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...topic=99163&hl= here is your original thread...when you post...tell greyknight that you couldn't find it...and post a new hijack this log...instead of following the instructions he posted...just to make sure that you get the best fix