Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Email problems

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
A problem very similar to this was resolved by running Ad-aware, CCleaner, and Registry Mechanic (I think that was the name). Since I'm not familiar with Registry Mechanic, I'm going to suggest using TuneUp, which will accomplish what Registry Mechanic & CCleaner would do.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

Let me know if the problem is solved or not.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 27 February 2006 - 08:14 PM.

Advertisements

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry, did as instructed, but problems not solved.

Ever since this problem started last week, I have been unable to run the regular PC Pitstop tests either - in fact when I log in I'm told that my email address is invalid - another symptom of the same problem?

It will be interesting to see whether I can send this on broadband, or whether I will have to revert to dial up.
Pat

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well that's one improvement - my message sent to you immediately - via broadband.
Thanks,
Pat

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Now we will use CCleaner, to hopefully finish the job that TuneUp started.

Download CCleaner from: http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html

Install it and run it. When you run it, set it up like this:

[attachment=6846:attachment]

After you have it set up like that, click on the Applications tab and UNcheck everything except Cookies if that applies to your computer. Otherwise, just UNcheck everything.

Now click on Analyze. It may take a while. When it gives you the list of files to delete, click on Run Cleaner.

If that doesn't work, I've got one more thing you can do. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 February 2006 - 12:38 PM.

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Unable to d/l that file tonight - will try again tomorrow - 'cannot find server'.

After running the tune up programme yesterday, my computer is going much faster - got to be happy about that! And I have found that I can enter Hotmail through the link on the MSN page, so things are definitely improving here - thanks for all the advice.

Pat

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
You're quite welcome :tazz:

Get that CCleaner, set it up and run it. Even if you have to download it from a different computer. Let's see if that completely solves your problem.

If not, I got one more thing for ya. :)

Edited by computerwiz12890, 01 March 2006 - 05:47 PM.

crypticpat

crypticpat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
CCleaner dowloaded with no problems tonight - installed and run as directed. No noticeable difference.
So looks like it's your last suggestion please!
Pat

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Before we try anything else, please create a system restore point. To do this, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Create a restore point for today and call it "dial-a-fix"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now open the dial-a-fix program that gerryf had you download earlier. In the upper left corner, put a check next to Install Windows Script Host. In the middle right, put a check next to Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc: and all of the other sub-boxes in that catagory. Now, at the bottom right, put a check next to ActiveX controls/codecs. Now click on GO.

Restart your computer and try your hotmail again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it doesn't work, go back to dial-a-fix, click on Tools, select Repair/Reinstall IE, and then click on GO. Once again restart the computer and try it again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that doesn't work, turn off ALL firewalls that you have installed on your computer and then try again (don't reboot for this).

Let me know how it goes, and if the problem actually gets worse, go back to the restore point I had you create.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 02 March 2006 - 04:33 PM.