Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program Installs

• Please log in to reply

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I have run the optimizer and the system responded beautifully.

What do I do next, and do I follow the advice of the person who posted previously.

Thank you

Martin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Only if you want to repeat post 8

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=577884

So is the PC giving you any trouble, how many errors were there

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
If you mean "things that it fixed" that didn't need to be on the computer, 1044.

But I still can't update

But she runs beautifully.

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type services.msc then press enter, check you have automatic updates, background intelligent transfer and alerter set to automatic, (double click each one, click start, if they are not started, then set the start up type to automatic, click apply, try updates

Beyond this, it looks as if it will depend on the repair options to replace missing system files

A check you can do is click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r (with the spaces), press enter, type Y to confirm then reboot, it will appear to load normally then either show progress on the monitor or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this, just let it load to the desktop when it gets there, though this will take an hour or so, what it does is check the integrity of the drive and repair whatever it can, usually everything, it could be something wrong there which is stopping installations

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hi I have run everything. Even part of the update that alphabetizes the program listing on the start menu. When I rebooted, everything was alphabetized. So it is doing something. I still get the same run-around on the microsoft website though. Still won't install.

The dec update installs a run icon on the desktop, but the feb install does not, so I am not installing the feb one. How do I do that?

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the desktop icon was not replaced by the Feb one, download it again but choose run, then it should download and install

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I downloaded the feb one again and installed. Still didn't give me the run icon. So I went to programfiles and ran it manually and I go a weird screen like it loaded, but thewas a blank kind of screen with two buttons with nothing written on them. It's like the download didn't have all the files.

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Leave that then, how is it running now

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Everything is running fine, and it has now had a well deserved colonic. I don't think there is must else we can do

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not without repairing, but if it is doing what you need it to do, leave things as they are

Advertisements

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I think so.

I want to thank you so very very much for all your help. You have been amazing. Is Tune up Utilities a good program to have?

Thank you

Martin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would say so, though run it for a month and see what you think of it

It is the only programme I have bought from running a trial (2004), they gave me 2006 for doing the beta testing

Not a problem helping you, it does take two to see things through

wolftone

wolftone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks man. I really enjoyed getting to know my computer.

Thanks again for ALL your help.

Thank you

Martin