Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is this a memory problem or something else?(resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
:tazz: I have had bsod's since I bought my toshiba laptop new. It is a Satellite P20 1 gb ram with fx go5700 graphics. Because bsod's were mostly during games I assumed it was software/driver issue that could be resolved with updates etc but aftr a year and a half of mucking about, reinstalling os (windows xp media center) and constant updating etc, I still get bsod with every high end game. I have now for the first time run mem test and golden memory tester. Both of them blue screen. Memtest was able to complete only 30% before bsod (5 times) it was able to complete 130% ( no error) then bsod. golden test blue screens every time. Do blue screens during memory test mean faulty memory or something else? I am going to try 1 module at a time but if bsods continue with both, how will I know if it is faulty memory or not. I don't wan't to pay some techwad heavy $$$ and still have the problem. Any thoughts appreciated. One of the error msg is 0x00000050 (0x8bfffff,0x0000000,0x805e9394,0x00000000. Another one started with 8e and another 7f.

Edited by Ianzworld, 09 March 2006 - 01:58 PM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Could be dodgy RAM, dodgy motherboard, dodgy drivers.

Update your hardware drivers (remember to uninstall previous ones as necessary).
Do you get any errors in the system event log?
Which memtest did you run? (there are quite a few)
Try using Memtest86+ > http://www.memtest.org

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Could be dodgy RAM, dodgy motherboard, dodgy drivers.

Update your hardware drivers (remember to uninstall previous ones as necessary).
Do you get any errors in the system event log?
Which memtest did you run? (there are quite a few)
Try using Memtest86+ > http://www.memtest.org

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey Zeus, thanx for the response and excuse the looong delay. I was at work on that post and it took me awhile to set lup that iso (first time, whew). Memtest when run from boot will run for hours with no errors, so I guess its not the ram, which is actually a shame because at least that's fixable. I have been unable to resolve these crashes by updating etc. I used driver cleaner pro to remove nvidea drivers and it seems to have wiped out my nvidea desktop manager. At least its not visible on the latest set of drivers I am testing. I am in the process of testing drivers with mobile inf's from laptop videotogo but so far no change. Toshiba discontinued the p20 and has no updated drivers or bios. I have just installed riva tuner and have tried underclocking?? but seems to make no difference. I installed a pci latency tool to adjust latency but also no effect. The memtest version that runs after booting always crashes as does RAMtester which also runs after boot. Error codes are from win32k.sys. Crashes also during 'video card stability tests' and of course reference the video driver as culprit. I have no virus or malware and besides these problems started before I even accessed the net. I am at a total loss and can't think of anything else to try. I have updated what few drivers I could from manufacturers updates. How the h*@! can a manufacturer sell a machine with upgraded graphics that can't play a game for more than an hour. And lastly, do you think its worth taking in or is this possibly an unresolvable conflict or something?? :tazz:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
If it was a conflict it would show up in device manager, are there any problem devices showed in device manager?
Are there any errors in the system log?

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 02 March 2006 - 06:37 AM.

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey Zeus. Thanx again for your interest and excuse th....you know. I've been hammering away at this problem and here's the latest. Did reinstall recovery disc+updates(sp1 only)+drivers. Same old bsods, every 5 min in silent hunter 3. Opened up the ram compartment last night at work...found, get this...a hair (not mine). It was stuck between a stick and the socket. Pulled out the sticks (and the hair), swapped the sticks around and this morning at home...30 minutes of sh3 with no bsod. 30 minutes of video card stability test, no bsod and 1385 fractals generated with no bsod. While poking about, I cleaned a ton of crap out of the fans and the rear heatsinks. Now the fans actually slow down after intense applications are closed. Seems they were always running full out lately. So I don't know if it was the hair or not but this is as stable as the machine has been ever, I think. That hair had to be in there since the factory hence the problems right out of the box, if thats the problem.. I hope so because having a $4G laptop that play games is like having a car that only makes it to the gas station. I find it hard to believe a hair could wreak that much havoc but hey, you never know. Here's hoping a long battle is over and I can now concentrate on blowing up ships and shootin' down planes instead of chasing ram goblins and phantom bsods:lol:. As for errors in the event log, they're aplenty but nothing to indicate such a bizarre problem. In the device manager, I am missing serial and other port drivers. A port tool shows only com port 3 active but that's for another thread I think. Thanx again. :tazz:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
A hair? :tazz: well I suppose stranger things have happened!

Glad you got it working, have fun creating mayhem!

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
:) The more, the merrier (mayhem, that is). :tazz: