Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CORRUPTED DISPLAY AFTER HIBERNATING

• Please log in to reply

allegra99

allegra99

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am using an IBM i1200 Thinkpad laptop with XP SP2. Every time I turn it on after it has hibernated the display
is corrupted, i.e. grainy and very low resolution. Rebooting always solves the problem.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I would turn hibernation off.

allegra99

allegra99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I need hibernating on so that I preserve my battery if the power cord becomes unplugged (which happens on a regular basis). Cycling the battery to full discharge shortens the life of the battery.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's not correct...in fact it is the opposite of correct assuming the laptop battery

That was true with NiCad batteries but your laptop came with a Ni-MH battery, which means it does not have a memory. A Lithiom ION would be better still, but you need not worry about "memory"

Actually, you should cycle your battery from 100 to 0 percent at least once every couple months

Now, HIBERNATION and POWER SAVING are two different things.

Hibernation occurs when your laptop is almost out of juice and it copies a system state to the drive so that when you power up, you are back to where you were when the power actually ran out

Power saving includes things like the drive and screen turning off.

Which one are you referring to?

allegra99

allegra99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm no stranger to battery technology. Yes it is important to cycle the Ni MH battery every now and then but constantly draining and recharging the battery shortens it's life. It only has so many cycles in its lifetime.
I really am talking about hibernating. If my AC/DC power cord comes undone I have the power settings adjusted to have this laptop hibernate after 10 minutes.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
assuming you have the latest drivers from ibm site, perhaps some low level harddrive issue? How much free space do you have? When was the last time you defragmented?

allegra99

allegra99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Downloaded all the latest drivers from IBM. I have a 40 gig hard drive and have 30 gigs free.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
^
|
|
When was the last time you defragmented?

How about a chkdsk?

Bios update? Perhaps yuour bios is not 100 percent acpi compatable

Is the right hal loaded? Under COMPUTER, in device manager, what do you see?