Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DI-642 completely Borked

• Please log in to reply

Maeldun

Maeldun

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, i just woke up, and no internet connection. hmmm, look at router...

My jaw drops... Power plug in, but no power light. 1 ethernet port used, all 4 ethernet ports light up. Status off, WAN on. i remove all but the power cable, and the lights stay the same.

ive tried resetting it, holding the reset button, pressing the reset button rapidly, with power in/power out (im getting desperate here).

tried a few internet searchs that come up with nothing. the DLink page sucks too.

the router is completely unresponsive. im about the try the old hammer trick, but before i do, is there a remedy you guys are aware of?

Edited by Maeldun, 24 February 2006 - 09:17 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so...power plugged in...no lights whatsoever? or...power plugged in..no power light...but all other lights seem to be working? when you unplug it i assume all lights off?

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ONLY Power plugged in:
-no power light
-4/4 Ethernet Port lights on (but they are empty)
-WAN light on
-WLAN light off
-Status light off

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
and resetting does nothing?

i would say that it's completely toasted...

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well it survived the hottest part of the day. im gonna try bashing it

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
video the bashing if you can heheh always fun to watch

Maeldun

Maeldun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ill take it to a friends house for bashing then.

any suggestion on what to replace it with? i was reasonably happy with it until now. it did need the occasional power down when the wireless connection kinda dropped out, but it worked just fine otherwise.

keep in mind im from australia so probably dont have the latest stuff thats in the US =P id rather just get it from a store, and it will need to support up to 12ppl max with a reasonably fast wireless connection (even though the major limiting factor is ppls wireless cards). i like to lan with my friends sometimes =)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'd say either dlink or linksys (i prefer linksys because their owned by cisco)...i don't really have a need for most home networking equipment..as i've got one machine at home...and at work...i use corporate level equipment...because of the size of my network...