Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen turns to black

• Please log in to reply

suzzi

suzzi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz:
This is my first time. No one in my family knows anything about computers. My father asked if anyone could help. He has Windows 98 . The other day he was cleaning his mouse and his bottom"start" line went up the side of the computer. Not sure of what he had done , he tried to move it back to the bottom.
When he starts his computer, he can see the Windows start up, but then the screen just goes all black.
Does anyone know what we can do? We called a computer shop and they told us to just bring it in.
Please help, Thank you for your time and any help !!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, then give it a minute to arrive at a prompt with a flashing cursor then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98 CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools