Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wonky Resolution Problem

• Please log in to reply

neR

neR

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey peoples. I'll make this short:

Resolution is stuck at 640x480/16-Bit.

I have no idea what caused this, as I've only had this cpu for a month and never had an issue. Just turned it on one day and it was like this.

Tried diddling around in Control Panel\Settings\Advanced and near as I can tell, the adapter is gone (all info is "unavailable"), and everything is greyed out under the monitor tab.

Then tried diddling around some more in the Device Manager, and all that I can get for info under "Display Adapters is that "the drivers for this device are not installed" and that it's not using any resources because "there is a problem". I can attempt to reinstall/update drivers, and it will go through the motions, but will eventually crap out and inform me that there's an error/"Access denied".

What's going on here?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post

neR

neR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the response.

Attached File  Report.txt   169.17KB   269 downloads

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't like the permission error

first, let's try the simple approach\

In device manager, right click your display adapter and uninstall it

Reboot...windows will redetect on boot

neR

neR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Tried it. Upon restart I get the "you're running is low-res" bubble/"auto correct display?" dialogue. It then "finds new hardware" (the Intel video controller) and finally decides that it "cannot install this hardware...error occured during installation...access is denied".