Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troubleshooting Elusive Involuntary Reboot

• Please log in to reply

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Gerry,

Again thank you. I am running this two ways. The first is with no CD in the CDROM Drive.The second is with a CD in the CDROM Drive.

I set it up as chkdsk /r and said yes to the check at reboot/restart. I did an intentional reboot.

In exercise 1 -- no CD in the drive I am up to stage 4 / 58%. No messages showed up in stage 1,2 and 3. I will post again after completing exercise 2 - with a CD in the drive.

Len Trimlett

Advertisements

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Gerry,

I did the chkdsk /r and a reboot by choice. Yes you might as well go off and get a cup of coffee while waiting for chkdsk.

It went through Five Distinct Stages

1. File Verification
2. Index Verification
3. Security Descriptor Verification
4. File Data Verification
5. Free Space Verification.

No messages of files being fixed showed up. All ran normally to completion.

Then Zone Alarm announced that it had an update download available and I downloaded it. I was offered two choices....Update or Clean Install. I chose Clean Install in lew of the previous corrupt True Vector Response.

I let Zone Alarm do a virus scan. And somewhere in the frey the computer decided to reboot. No explanation yet.

I am going to burn a data CD on my desktop next with lots of pictures and then use it to run chkdsk on the CDROM drive. That is next.

I am still monitoring the Event Viewer. Nothing in the Applications Section.

An event 8032 is coming up...Browser. Text:

"The Browser Service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\Net_BT_TCPIP_(2f9edf28-5877-41CA-C510DFEF62 BF). The Backup Browser is stopping.

Help and Support Comments:

Explanation:

This computer is currently a backup browser. Backup browsers periodically retrieve the browse list from the master browser. This computer could not retrieve the browser list from master browser five times consecutively.

The Browser 8021 Event is usually when this event is logged. Possible causes include:

a.Network Outages
b.Name resolution problems
c.An overloaded master browser or
d.A master browser that is unavailable because, for example, it is shut down or lost network connectivity.

This event usually indicates poor network health. If the backup browser cannot retrieve the browser list from the master browser, its list becomes stale and therefore unreliable, so it stops becoming a backup browser. For more information about browsing, see Appendix I: Windows 2000 Service Browser Service on the Microsoft Technet website

http://www.microsoft...fi-brs_oynw.asp

Event 8021 fired just ahead of this.

BACKGROUND INFO:

This is a home SBC DSL network. The primary computer in the DSL Configuration is a Fry's Desktop # GHZ computer on which I am writing this. The Fry's Computer is working fine. It is tied to the laptop that is the subject of this discussion through an SBC 2 Wire Gateway. The desktop is connected USB and the laptop is connected through a TMObile Hotspot Wireless card. The console indicates connection at 11MBPS.

The 2 Wire Gateway has 3 lights : 1. Power 2. Broadband Link 3: Local Network .... the lights have been green through the entire process. The laptop is no more than 5 feet from the 2 wire gateway.

NOW ON TO BURNING THE DATA CD AND CHKDSK ON THE DRIVE.

LEN TRIMLETT

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I burned a CD with data and brought the CD to the laptop. Windows explorer let me view it.

Then I did chkdsk d: ..... The computer said the type of the file system is RAW and CHKDSK is not available for RAW DRIVES ...... Same thing for my SBC DSL Install disk.

It appears that I cannot do a CHKDSK on the CDROM Drive.

One more try of SBC DSL install.

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Tried reinstall DSL...DSL process installs to completion....then Finish. Then Internet Explorer Browser Appears. But no SBC DSL browser.

Above master browser messages show up in System Event Viewer.

Where next???

Len Trimlett

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Clear your event viewer by right clicking APPLICATION and SYSTEM and choosing CLEAR EVENT

Now wait until the next restart and note the time

Only report the error that occured at the restart.

You are trying to fix too many things at once and we will never know what is wrong if you do not take a more methodical approach

Of all of these, only the bad block really concerns me.

After the clear, double click the event if it occurs and copy and paste (use button) the results.

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Administrative and System Windows Cleared. I will post when I see an error. I agree with you. It is trying to fix too many things at once. I am up on the internet and have some other things to install. I will see if I can make the problem happen with one of the installs and check the Event Logs.

While I think several things have been solved (with your help), the involuntary restart as yet has not been solved. Monitoring clean event logs when it occurs is the key. If too much stuff is in the event logs you don't know which one did it.

I will try to get the CDROM Error to occur with some Adobe Installs.

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
We may have our first clue to the restart.

At 10:20 PM I was looking at the SBC home page (all normal) when the system randomly shut down. There were no error messages in the Application Events. There were no error messages in the System Error Events but there was an eventlog start information message:

1. Event 6009 – Microsoft ® 5.01 ,2600 Service Pack 2 Uniprocessor Free.
2. Text of the Help and Support Message

Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 6009
Source: Event Log
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventLogProductInfo

EXPLANATION:

The user restarted or shut down the computer by clicking Start or pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then clicking Shutdown. The message displays the windows product information for the computer logging the information, including the product name, version, build #, service pack number, and operating system type.

User Action:

No User Action is required.

Comments:

I have seen this message in the System Event Logs Before but never gave it a thought before as it is an information message. The fact is that I did not press START nor CTRL+ALT+DELETE when this happened. I WOULD KNOW IT. If an answer can be arrived at for why this message appears the source of the restart may be found. THE COMPUTER THINKS I PRESSED THE START BUTTON WHEN I DIDN’T.

Supplemental Information: The above Help and Support message also said that there are no Knowledge Base articles for this message.

A supplemental 6005 Event follows saying that an Event Log was started.

The last event preceeding this Event was Event 18 saying that Security Update For Windows KB913446 was ready for install. This Windows update message had been there for at least one hour previous. This update has failed every time in the past. I can chase this one in the Windows update history.

Len Trimlett

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
would you please attach a hijack this log to your next post?

Attach, do not post it

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Gerry,

Attached is the Hijackthis Log. I had to convert it from a text file to Microsoft Word File. I am using Microsoft Office 2003.

The post program would not let me post an attachment with the text extension.

I downloaded hijackthis from download.com

Len Trimlett

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
alright, nothing there to cause this issue.

Let's move on to hardware

First, download and run memtest+
you can either burn an iso image to cd or use the floppy version

http://www.memtest.org/

** Memtest86+ V1.65 (10/01/2005) **
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

Advertisements

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Here is another lead:

Following memtest I did escape and then restarted. I checked the event logs following restart.

Event 1517:

Windows saved user Trimlett-D1BC2A\Trimlett registry while an application or service was still using the registry during logoff. The memory used by the user’s registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account. Try configuring the services to run in either the localservice or NetworkServiceAccount.

Then I am referred to the Help and Support

Product:Windows Operating System
Event ID:1517
Source:UserEnv
Version: 5.2
SymbolicName: Event_Hive_Saved
Message: Windows saved user %1 registry while an application while an application or service was still using the registry during logoff. The memory used by the user’s registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.This is often caused by services running as a user account. Try configuring the services to run in Local Service or Network Service Account.

Explanation:

Windows unloads each user’s profile and users section of the registry when the user logs off. This message indicates that Windows could not unload the user’s profile because a program was referencing the user’s section of the registry. This locked the profile. The registry cannot unload profiles that are lock and in use. When the program that is locking the profile is no longer referencing the registry, the registry will be unloaded.

My Comments:

I have seen this error several times.

Len Trimlett

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
likely not the issue, but install

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

The most likely causes of random reboots are heat, ram, power supply, drivers

Drivers will usually leave an error message in eventvwr

If heat is not an issue and ram is not an issue, I would swap out the power supply with a known good power supply as a test...you can do this from a second PC since we're only talking a temporary issue.

If you do not have a power supply, we can skip that for now and update all your drives...what is the make and model of pc? If you do not know, please download EVEREST from our download section and save a report

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

It might not be a bad idea to attach a report anyway, since I may see something else.

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Everest Report Attached

Len Trimlett

Attached Files

Len Trimlett

Len Trimlett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Regarding power supply, the Compaq Presarion 1510US uses a separate power cord and power module (both external). When I originally got the computer I had one power cord and one power module. I purchased a second power cord and power module. With both of those there appeared to be quite a bit of reboot. Even when interchanging them.

Then I purchased 2 additional power cords and power modules. I have been running these tests with the first of the new power cord and module units. As soon as I get them all properly labelled I will switch to the second new power cord and module.

I know that in the auto industry my Mustang Mechanic has ordered replacement parts and found them bad. It is possible that one of the new cords is bad, but not likely both. I will switch and label them during the day.

Len Trimlett

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go here:

http://h10025.www1.h...5&dlc=en&os=228

get these and install them:

Driver - Audio
» ADI SoundMax AC97 Integrated Digital Audio Driver

Driver - Graphics
» ATI Video Driver and Control Panel

Touchpad
» Synaptics Touchpad Driver

MODEM
» Conexant 56K ACLink Modem Driver for Windows XP

Driver - Network
» Mobile Intel PRO/100 NIC Drivers

Chipset
» Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

-------------------

question---where did you get the touchpad drivers for this machine? They are newer then anything designed for it.